Found A Kitten In My Garage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Found A Kitten In My Garage

Well im brand new to this forum and my family and i found a black and tan kitten in our garage 2 days ago. We have called the newspaper and put an add in the paper, but no calls yet. We have a feeling this poor little girl was dumped in our neighborhood for some reason.She is VERY skinny and a lil dirty but she doesnt seemed injured. She is very sweet and loves to jump onto your shoulder and paw your neck. I was wondering what kind of care she would need if we were to keep her. As im only 15 it is my parents decision. Right now we stuck an old dog crate in the garage for her to sleep in and we have borrowed some cat food from our neighbor. We had a cat about a year or so ago but sadly he got paralized due to a genetic mutation that caused him to have a weak vertebrate in his back. I know she will need to be vaccinated and see the vet, but i was wondering if we should turn her into an indoor cat and how hard is it to litter train? Thanks for reading this and cross your fingers that if we dont find her home that i will be able to keep her. Oh and also i was wondering what color she would be. She is black and has tan speckled thoughout her fur.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Cat Addict

The kitten sounds very sweet. I would recommend turning her into an indoor cat. Outdoor cats live only a fraction of the time an indoor cat lives. Litter training can be fairly simple if the cat is altered. Since they have a need to dig the litter box is the natural place to go. Make sure you have all your clothes picked up off the floor because clothes are a pee magnet.

Just a guess, but your kitten sounds like a tortoiseshell.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Well still no calls today. My sisters and i are trying to covince my dad to keep her. My mom is fine with it but if she were to be brought inside we would have to bathe her with that stuff for people who are allergic to cats. My mom is allergic to cats but not badly. So just a bath every week wouldnt be bad for her if she was getting a forever home in return. We have found out she is a tortoise(sp?) color. We have no idea what we will name her if we keep her so any ideas would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 PM

She seems to be a sweet cat. I hope everything works out for you and that you are able to keep her. Hopefully your mom can convince your dad
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Cool Cat

This kitten could possibly be from a litter of a stray female and she just wandered your way. Litter box behavior is usually naturally instinctive to cats because, like Annissa said, they like to dig into a sandy substrate and bury their feces. Try filling a box with litter and dig into it with your hands. Cats are good copy cats and she should pick up on what to do. It works the same way with a scratching post.

If you need to bathe her, you'd have to start her at a young age so she gets used to it.

Welcome to the forum, good luck and keep us informed.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Hi, Mandi. Welcome. I agree with the advice you've been given. Just show the kitten the litter box and scratch her little feet in it. Cats are pretty easy to train. I would definitely keep her indoors, and as Richo said, if she is to have baths, get her used to them immediately. I do hope all works out well. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:14 AM

Hi! You have already been given tons of good information, and there is lots more all over these boards Just wanted to say hi, and wish you luck with the kitty!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 01:49 AM

Welcome to the forum - I'm pretty new too. ^_^

I'm excited to hear about your brand new kitty! Your situation sounds a lot like my best friend's they found a kitty not to long ago either.

I would get her spayed as soon as possible - that way you don't have to worry about her peeing everywhere and getting dad angry. You should probably try to train her somewhere that can be cleaned up easily like a bathroom or something like that until she gets the hang of it. Just keep her cut off from the rest of the house unless she is with you until she can use the box properly. This shouldn't take very long at all.

When giving her a bath - try to act as calm as you can and try to be swift about cleaning her. I would sugest a second pair of hands - one to pet and calm the baby - and the second to shampoo and rinse. If she digs in her claws into your arm because she is scared - try not to jerk - and slowly extract her nails (they don't always try to scratch you - but might try to hold onto you for support). Make sure she is dry too - and don't let her run off until she is. I'm glad you're getting to bathe her now at such a young age - that way when she gets older she won't freak out as much.

Again, welcome to the forum! Tell us how your baby does! ^_^
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

WOW! Thanks for all the great advice guys. Well My dad said he will think about it. Im sure with 4 women against him there is no way he is gonna win this battle though. We called the vet and he said to bring her in sometime this week and he would check her for worms and all that other good stuff. We let her in the house last night when my dad was at a meeting and she just ran around the couch the whole time from person to person wanting everyone to pet her. I swear if you would let her she would sit on your shoulder all day long. She's so sweet i couldnt bear to give her away to anyone now. I've been wanting a cat ever since our other one had to be put down. It was hard but i knew we were doing the right thing as he would have been paralyzed for the rest of his life and he was only 6 years old. Anyways is it ok for her to be on just cat food or does she need to be on kitten food? Right now cat food is all we have but my sister and i are planning on going to the store when my dad makes his decision which hopefully will be yes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 11:41 AM

Just wanted to welcome you and say good luck!

and please post some pictures of (soon-to-be) your kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page