newbie needing advice! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

newbie needing advice!

Hello one and all,
I am going to introduce myself in the correct forum, so will just post my little problem here

I have always had dogs, but always wanted a cat. I never got my cat as I was in a high rise building, and knowing cats can jump pretty high was always scared if I had one it would end up jumping over the balcony...anyway one of my dogs has died aged 12 and I have moved to the country, in a lovely house with a nice big garden, there is a neighbour who knows of a family who's cat seems to always be pregnant, and they don't really look after her, she has not long had another litter, the family now do not want her My neighbour is taking in mum and one kitten and has found homes for the other kittens bar one, so I am taking her in....now i'm stuck! Firstly I have a dog she's 13, she is a very gentle and loving dog and if she's anything like when I bought my other dog home when they were young, she will mother it very much, but to be sure I would like some advice on how to introduce the two, also do cats have jabs? If so i will ring the vet for further advice, also apart from food, litter and tray, feeding dish and the main essentials is there anything else I need?...I am due to pick the kitten up in two weeks, when she is 6 weeks old, I am very excited and want to make sure everything is just perfect for when she comes to her new home, any advice on anything you feel I should know or need would be very much appreciated, as i see alot of people are experts on here sorry for the very long post!
regards
Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm also a dog lover who recently adopted my first cat. He was an adult when I got him so I've never actually had a kitten of my own, but I've been around plenty of young ones. You definately need scratching posts and TOYS! Lots and lots of things for her/him to play with or else you'll wind up becoming a living, breathing chew toy. I know you'll need lots of patience too.

As far as helping with training for a litterbox and where to claw and where not to, I can't be much help. I'm sure your new kitty will love its new home and mother You're bound to get tons of help on here, I know I have!

Good luck and post lots of pictures!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:05 PM

to the boards! Congratulations on your first kitty! Soon you will be a cat fanatic like all of us Yes, kittens do need shots, so you will need to make an appointment to take her to the vet after you bring her home. Its also a good idea to just get her checked over. Also, 6 weeks is a bit young to be leaving her mother...its best to wait until at least 8 weeks. And be sure to start her out on a high quality cat food Again, Welcome, and Congratulations!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Thankyou very much I do have loads of patience, and the neighbour that is having mum, did say if she thought the kitten wasn't ready then i'd have to wait longer, which i do not mind, the kittens welfare comes before anything else.
Monday i will be shopping for scratch post and toys and the rest of the gear, and some new toys for my dog...I can't leave her out lol. Do any of you know the best way to introduce her to my dog, I totally trust my dog but do not want her nose out of joint or for her to feel rejected even though i would never push her out. I cannot believe the family do not want their cat, it's not even that they cannot cope, they just neglect her...some people are so cruel it really chokes me
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
give them lots and lots of time. when you first bring the kitty home, keep her in a different room from the dog, then start switching up where they are so they can get used to the new smells. I'm sure she'll adjust much quicker being a young kitten and will probably learn to love her new big sister as much as you do

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone here is giving good advice. I thought I'd add two links that were VERY helpful for me in preparing my home for my new cat and doing the introductions to other animals:

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac...eyougetakitten

http://littlebigcat.com/index.php?ac...gintroductions

While you're there, check out other articles in their "Free Article Library". It's an excellent, excellent resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page