New cat owner with kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

New cat owner with kitten

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this board and I decided to join because recently I got a kittn but I have next to no idea what to do aside from books. I got her because my father was at the laundromat we own and he saw a man with a box. My particular kitty was sticking his head out and meowling and the man shoved him back into the box (In 90 degree weather no less!) and my father inquired as to what was wrong and the man said he was giving away kittens because he took them to the animal shelter but he found there were already 20 cats there, in addition to 3 litters of kittens, and this was not a no kill shelter So my father picked out one and brought it home because my brother has always wanted a cat (He's 12 and pretty responsible).

Well, I own a lot of animals including 2 mice, 2 birds, 1 ferret, and one dog. So I uh, wasn't really looking for another pet but, the rule in our house is, you get it you keep it. I'm a seinor dog owner but I've never had a cat.

Her and my ferret get along well I suppose. For the first day all they did was stare at each other... But the dog is scared of the cat and the cat is scared of the dog (She's a friendly dog, a Cockapoo named Pepsi. About 9 pounds) and the dog is scared of the cat because she keeps on hissing at her. Thought I guess that was natural for the first day and I hope they'll get to be better friends in a few weeks.

She's a unregistered (I think?) grey/black tabby named Isis. And 6 weeks old (!) Or so the guy told my father. That's too young to be away from her mother! She ate a few mouthfulls of canned cat food, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't buy a milk replacer for a week and just use a little of it. She won't drink out of the water bowl and I'm worried she'll get dehydrated.

Well thanks for listening to my ramble. I'll post pictures later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

I would definately give her milk replacement. There's one called KMR that's really good. At six weeks she should be able to eat some "real" food but at that age they still drink milk so you're right about the replacement. You can check if she's dehydrated by gently pinching the skin in her neck, if it falls donw all the way quickly she's OK but if it stays up for a moment she's dehydrated. I would take her to a vet for a general health check and you'll probably get a lot of good advise about how to care for her to.

Congratulations to your kitty!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice Sol! I went to Petco and got KMR and she seems to like it. I'll take her for a checkup in 3 weeks then (And vaccinations)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:03 PM

Hello, Wolfie
That was so nice of your father to have taken one kiten over. Congratulations! And do not forget to post pictures
Now back to caring for the kitten - these are some of the things you will need at this stage:
Kitten Needs
1. Vet visit - deworming needs to be continued. They start getting vaccines at 9 weeks of age. 3 weeks after they should get boosters. It is preferable for the cats to stay indoors. Dangers like cars, dogs, wild life birds ( can kill little kittens) or even other cats or people could harm a cat fatally. If you consider your area is safe however, the cat will need extra vaccines for the outdoors.
2. Small cage, bathroom (to stay in - not the whole house or he will get lost) with : litterbox, bowl of fresh food and water 24/7. Allow to explore the rest of the house gradually under your supervision until he will get accomodated with the surroundings.

If it is a multiple cat household more litter boxes are recommneded to avoid territorial issies. Disinfect box every two weeks or less depending on the litter.

3. Scratching post - on your knees show them the motion and they will catch up on it

4. Toys like little balls, fishing poles. Do not leave strings or anything that kitten could choke on while alone.

5. Bath - once a week only until he will get proper flea, heartworm, ear mites and ticks medicine. Use baby or flea shampoo (use the latter in the following manner - dilute the size of a dime in lots of water, lather and then rinse kitty well). Head can be wiped with a well rung warm cloth in order to clean - because eyes, mouth and ears must not come in contact with soapy or plain water. When they will become of age (and weight) so they can get flea medicine they will hardly need a bath unless accidents happen (they keep themsleves pretty clean)

Clean ears with cotton balls if wax or dirt build up occur. Do not use cotton swabs unless you are confident of how far you should reach - which should be only at sight.

*Revolution is one of the best medicines to prevent cats from getting fleas, heart worm, ear mites and ticks. Avoid at all costs over the counter medicines for the parasites mentioned. Hartz is known to have caused numerous victims especially among cats. Please do not use. Discuss with your vet what is best for your kitty to use.

6. Brush once or twice a week at least. Sometimes a well rung warm cloth can be used to remove loose hair and/or dirt - it will also remind the kitty of the baths his momma used to give him/her

7. Time to adjust - if diarrhea occurs it might be because of stress (separation from his mates + different environment), change in food or worms might still be present. White rice and boiled chicken (give tiny pieces no bones) are known to bind them up. Prolonged diarrhea causes dehydration which can be very serious in a young cat. If it lingers for more than a few days and/or is accompanied by blood in stool kitty needs to see vet.

This is some of the information I have handed out to the kitty parents that adopted my foster babies. There are more issues that you will need information on such as behaviour - why not playing with your hands with the kitty, the importance of spay/neuter at 6 months of age and NOT declawing. Feel free to ask all you need to know and everybody will love to help
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ioana! l'd never declaw a cat. It's such a cruel thing to do, I might just get caps for her nails if the post doesn't work. I wouldn't let her outside (We have outside cats in our area , so that wouldn't go over too well)

Otherwise, I'll follow what you said. Thank you again for the info
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 PM

I am happy to hear that, Wolfie
And you are very welcome anytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page