Cats and Summer Heat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Cats and Summer Heat

Well... it's starting to get hot in New York. I'm wondering how best to deal with keeping my apartment cool in the summer. Usually I would typically leave the AC off and windows open wheN I'm not there, and if it's REALLY hot and humid, I'll turn the air on for a little while when I get home. I'm in an apartment without central air, so I don't have any kind of thermostat control. It's just on or off, and it would get cold fast if I left it on.

Overall, is leaving Kiera in my apartment with the windows open and no AC okay for the daytime when I am at work? I don't want her to suffer from any kind of heat-related sickness, and I'm not sure exactly what a cat's body can handle in terms of heat.

Do any of you have experience dealing with this issue?

Thanks,
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Cat Addict

I always worry about my cats too. Personally, I prefer to just stand the heat and deal with it. But I worry when the cats are home alone all day that it will get too hot in the house, since I never turn on the air. If it's REALLY hot, I'll turn it on, not for me but for the kids! But I'd like to know what temperature is too hot for cats.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:51 PM

Last summer I worried about the same thing with my kitty.
I froze a couple of water bottles, wrapped them in towels and left them near his favorite nap spots. So of course he chooses to go upstairs hang out in the bathroom, hottest room in the house, only one without fresh air and nowhere near the cool bottles. the downstairs area was So cool too!? Now he has a kitty friend this year, we'll see if he prefers the stifling heat as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 PM

I've always just left the windows open and sometimes a fan going. They have always been fine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Senior Cat

I live in Scotland, it is sooo not a problem. I actually had to put the heating on yesterday for a short while! I'm more likely to knit bootees and a scarf for my cat than worry about heat exhaustion

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Cat Addict

I usually run the A/C at least part of the day. Mine become noticeably lethargic when its too hot and humid and will gravitate toward cooler surfaces like linoleum and hard furniture when it gets too much. ( and of course, countertops and sinks, sometimes the bathtub ) I even caught my youngest lying in a litterbox the last time we hit the 90's

It's important to note that cats can't sweat, but they can regulate their temperature just by taking it easy and avoiding things that hold heat. I always change their water more often in the summer and will sometimes put ice cubes in it. I wouldn't worry too much about it, now being stuck in a hot car, thats totally different and should always be avoided.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:06 AM

Rain and humidity seem to affect my kittens. It's been real muggy the last couple of days here and the cats has done nothing but eat, sleep and sleep some more. Today it's clearing up and the cats are going crazy around the house, they are all over the place and playing!

We have a portable AC that we can move from room to room, so we will probably have that going when the heat strikes so badly that we all get taken down by it. The portable AC is very noisy so it won't be running as often as it did before we had the cats, but it will definately help cool down both humans and cats.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:41 PM

minneapolis can get super super hot and humid, and i don't have any AC. my place can get pretty stuffy. i'm a little worried about the kitties, but they seem to be ok just hanging out on the wood floor. it's going to get a lot hotter though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Cat Addict

Faile...I'm in Inver Grove Heights!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 03:52 AM

god, don't you hate this humidity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page