What can I do.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

What can I do....

Hi all,
I am new here and new to cats( I grew up without ever having a cat or dog and have only kept reptiles), so try not to judge to harshly. Here is my problem. I've been thinking about adopting a cat from one of the local shelters. Many of the shelters here have over 100 cats and are not able to take in more animals or worse. I found a really sweet and pretty 3yr old tiger/bengal he is very alert and looks healthy, but is very thin. The shelter where he is at keeps him in a really tiny cage that he can barely stand up in so he may be too depressed or scared to eat. He deserves so much better, but unfortunately I work long hours more than an hour and a half away from where I live until late August and I am afraid to leave him alone for 12+ hours at a time. Would it be OK to put him in a cat play pen 36x24x48 for the day or would that upset him? Would a boarding facility be an option? I've been looking for someone who could foster him, but unfortunately I have not found anyone willing. The people at the shelter said that they get a lot of cats in and I don't know how long he'll be there. If anybody has any comments/ideas I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Premier Cat

If you were able to it would be great to have a firend for him, presuming he would get along with other cats.
Would there be issues with allowing him to roam free around the house while you are out?
In a pen it doesnt give him the chance to move around, plus if it doesnt have a cover on it he will just jump out of it or climb out.
Pebbles when she was my only cat was fine alone all day while me and my partner were at work. I now have 5, she doesnt like the others one bit, but the others love having each others company while we are not home. Getting two at the same time would be a good idea as they would be intorduced in a completly nuetrol enviroment, neither will have been in your house to claim it as "thiers" plus they wont get lonely either.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 03:10 PM

I would recomend adopting 2 cats. Then leaving them for long hours wouldn't be an issue....they would have each other. I have always kept cats in pairs for this reason. You don't really need to worry about leaving a cat unattended in your house all day, like you would worry about a dog. Cats are just about the only animal that can can really be trusted to behave while you are gone. If you have 2 cats, they will just play,eat, and sleep while you are gone....mine are always asleep when I get home Cats are great!!! You don't have to walk them, take them out, etc. The usually housebreak themselves (even young kittens!) They don't go through your garbage, they don't chew up your shoes, furniture, etc, they don't bark and whine and howl, and they don't demand the CONSTANT attention dogs do Go for it!! Get him, and one of his friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt replies. I really really appreciate your help I am only *supposed* to have one cat in my appartment. Also I am not sure if he gets along with other cats. I am worried about leaving him home alone because he will be recently neutered when I take him home and I am afraid he might mark his territory around my house or claw at the wood work. I have been browsing my favorite online pet supply company and I saw a product that you plug in to an outlet and is supposed to not make cats want to mark their territory......does this actually work? I will certainely have a large scrathing post for him, but I have a considerable deposit on my apartment and could stand to lose up to $1200. I've seen products that go over the tip of the nail, but I don't want to do anything that would make him uncomfortable. Would putting nail caps on his claws make him hate me? But you think a 36x24x48 in. enclosure would be out of the question? It would be about 4 times as big as the one at the shelter As far as pets that behave when I'm gone....my fish and geckos never cause any trouble
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 06:51 PM

Hey, I have fish, too What kind do you have? OK- back to the subject at hand. It really isn't a good idea to keep a cat in an enclosure like the one you are describing (or any at all) he would most likely become frustrated, angry, and start acting out. Cats like to have freedom to roam in an apartment. I know how it is to worry about the deposit. Rght now, in my 2 bedroom apartment, I have a dog, 2 cats, a rabbit, 4 hermit crabs, and 2 fish tanks. I won't mention how many pets I am *supposed* to have Cats don't usually spray after being neutered, in fact I have never heard of one doing that....so I don't think that will be a problem. As far as scratching on things, some cats are very good and only use your scratching post....some need a bit more reinforcement. I think Soft Paws Nail Caps are great....I use them with my cats, and they don't seem to mind them at all, so they are definately an option, if you are worried about scratching. The people at the shelter might know if he gets along with other cats. Most young cats do-especially if you introduce them to your house at the same time. Good luck! Let me know if you ave any more questions
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I have a 50g tank of plecos and a 40g tank on Tanganyikan chiclids. One more question actually, are male cats that are neutered late in life better with female cats?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:48 PM

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce your new kitty to another cat right now. A successful introduction can take a lot of time and effort, and so it would be really difficult with the amount of time you will be working. I would suggest introducing another kitty in August, once you aren't working as many hours.

I think the kitty nail caps are a wonderful idea. In order to make sure your kitty won't spray anywhere, you could try keeping him in your bathroom or laundry room for a few days while your working. Some cats will still spray after they are neutered because the hormones remain in their system for a little while after the operation. Leaving him a small enclosed room for the first few days will also help him get acclimatized to your house and the new surroundings.

I wouldn't leave him in a small pen, it would just make him unhappy. With the nail caps and introducing him into the bathroom first, will likely clear up any worries that you have about him destroying your house. I've only met one cat that scratches the woodwork. This only happens when she wants to be taken out on her harness and she will scratch the door casing a bit. That's only when I'm home of course! Also to deter scratching, you should have a scratching post for your kitty to use.

As for the male/female issue, I really feel that it doesn't make a difference. I've found all combinations to work, and I think it depends less on gender than the personalities of the cats involved.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
As for the male/female issue, I really feel that it doesn't make a difference. I've found all combinations to work, and I think it depends less on gender than the personalities of the cats involved.

Well put My thoughts exactly
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 08:47 PM

Adopt the Kitty

I think you are worrying a bit too much. We also adopted our boy cat from a shelter, and he was unhappy and afraid to eat. I was a bit stressed too, because we had a dog and I didn't know how they would take to each other. He wasn't yet neutered, and I would never declaw. Well, we got him neutered, he never sprays, and I got him two quite nice scratching posts. I put them near furniture that I didn't want him to scratch and all is fine. If you are nervous, confine the kitty to one room of the apartment, say the bedroom for a trial. Put food, water, litter, scratching post, toys in the room with him. We did this at first until the dog and cat were ready to co-exist. I think you will be quite pleased and so will your precious new companion. Additionally, I have friends who've had great luck with citrus air fresheners as deterrents from bad behavior. Apparently, cats dislike citrus. So you could try that too. But see what happens. All might be fine and you won't need to do that. Good luck to you.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Wow, now I'm confused. Unfortunately I don't have a bedroom since my apartment is a loft and all open and the only room I could confine him to is the bathroom. Should I let him explore the entire apt while I'm there and then just put him in the bathroom(it is a fairly large bathroom) when I leave. Won't this make him angry? Or should I keep him in the bathroom at all times. And yes I do worry alot but I don't want everyone to get the wrong impression, I want him to be happy most of all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page