Kitty Peeing EVERYWHERE - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Kitty Peeing EVERYWHERE

I am at my wit's end with this problem. If you all would take a minute to read this and give me some tips, I would appreciate this so much!

I have 3 cats. One cat is 4 years old, spayed female. The other two are brother (neutered) and sister (unspayed) 8 months old. One of them is peeing all over everything. I have not caught the perp yet, but I suspect it to be my younger female for the following reasons:

She is extremely timid, always running and hiding whenever there are loud noises or movement (she was not abused or anything- the breeders are personal friends and I got her when she was very young, and also her parents are do not have that temperment at all either) and I have read many articles on how cats with this type of behavior often have elimination problems. She was not like this when she was very young, but developed this behavior around 3 months, around which time the peeing started. My older cat never had a problem when she lived by herself, and if it were her, I would think the problem would have started very soon after the kittens arrived. My neutered male is the most laid back cat imaginable, likes every person and animal he has ever met, sleeps/cuddles most of the day, and I see him using the litterbox all of the time.

At any rate, I do not know what to do. She is peeing on anything textile she can find laying on the ground- which means she sneaks into people's bedrooms, goes in the bathroom if there are towels or clothes on the ground. I have even had my shoes urinated on. I was the stuff with different cat odor products and have used nature's miracle on the carpets. I try to keep the bedroom/bathroom doors shut, and keep blankets, shoes, etc. off of the floor. But it is literally impossible. I live with 4 other people right now.

I am going to be moving in a small apartment with my fiance in the next month, but if I cannot fix this problem soon, I am going to have to give her to a shelter or something (she is too frightened of things to be an outdoor cat...won't even go near the door.) I am at my wit's end. I do not have the money to have her keep ruining things. Besides that, I am too overwhelmed with things- I just started a new job, my last semester of school starts this fall, I am moving into a new place, and I am starting to plan for my wedding. I don't think the litter is a problem, because she is not pooping around the house. I just don't know. I have considered giving her some herbal essences or something (don't know if anyone has tried that.)

If anybody has ANY advice, I would be so grateful! She has been healthy last time she had a check up, but that was at the very beginning of this whole ordeal and I hadn't mentioned the peeing to the vet. Do I have to have special tests to find out if she has a UTI or is that standard in a check up? I have read so many articles on the internet. I am constantly crying over this. I love her and I don't want to give her up. But I cannot keep her if this behavior cannot be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 PM

Spay your cat - unless she is a breeder - sometimes the girly cats pee on things to attract males. You might also want to check and see if she has a urinary tract infection - that might also be what's doing it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:58 PM

You need to have her spayed.........most likely, this will stop her behavior. While she is at the vet, they can check her for a UTI by doing a urine dip test, but most likely, she needs to be spayed, and she will stop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:15 PM

Once you get your youngest cat spayed and check for a UTI, you will have to remove all traces of urine in your carpets. You can shine a black light over every bit of carpet, and the urine will glow. Then you need to use and enzyme cleaner to remove the urine. Nature's Miracle is apparently a good one. Soak the carpet down to the padding and let it dry (you can speed up the process with a fan directed at the site).

If you don't remove all the stains, your kitty will instinctively still pee there, even if you've solved the reason she is peeing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 11:13 PM

I would say if you can, get lit'l girlie spayed and use "Anti Icky poo" (this is really the name and IT works!) or something of the like an enzyme cleaner to get the smell gone. Just to avoid repeat markings. I can understand what you are going through I have been there trust me, but I always said that I would give someone $100. if they could come in my home, not see a cat/or toys and know that we have cats. I don't want to live in a pee smelling environment and I really think NO cat owners has to unless they choose to. Accidents happen but how many homes do you go in and smell stinky diapers, it is the responsibility of the owners.
It sounds like your sweetie may have a Urinary tract infection or perhaps a slight behavioural problem. All these easily treatable. Be patient and know it can be cured. Please let us know. Nice vanilla candles cover well for company: ) trust me our septic system backed up and those candles were kind to us, when unexpected company came. You'll be okay, just do the process of elimination in finding the culprit. Hang tight and pray for a stuffy nose Justa kiddiing!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Jr. Cat

Reading this kind of stuff is what makes me afraid to get a cat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat
Why is that hun? You really have nothing to worry about peeing if you train them right and get them altered. Sometimes cats get sick - and they show it by peeing on your things. It's the same with all animals (at least the ones I've had). You can stop the behaivor in it's tracks by checking it out soon. 'Sides... if anything happens... you can ask all these cat savy people on this page. ^_^ No worries.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:32 AM

FatCat Wrote:
Quote:
It shouldn't Cats do not pee on anything besides litter box unless there is a problem, like a urinary infection or if they are not spayed/neutered. I have had cats for almost 17 years and I have never had a cat pee in the house......ever!!!!!!! I am lucky, but still, as a rule, cats are one of the most house-friendly pets ( and I would know....I have had cats, dogs, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, fish, lizards, birds, and hermit crabs )
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for ALL your help. I knew unaltered males would spray, but I didn't realize that unaltered females might too. We will definitely be making a vet appointment for a UTI check up and a spay. Thanks for all your help! I HOPE this works so I can keep my little girl (and not have my belongings ruined)!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 PM

Let us know what happens. okay?! Look forward to hearing from you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page