Zoe is NOT pregnant :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Zoe is NOT pregnant :(

I've been greeted by a small pile of throw up off and on since last Saturday. The other night Zoë woke me up gagging and then throwing up, so I knew it was her. I just changed their wet food so figured that was the cause. They were completely switched over so I added some of the previous brand back into their meals to make the process even more gradual. Today I came home to a pile…it had a worm in it. I had planned on calling the vet anyway so I picked up the phone right away.
They wanted me to just come by and pick up some medicine for tape worms even though I told them it was much longer than any tape worm I had ever seen. Finally I convinced them to see her this evening before the office closed. With her being due around the 12th, I did not want to take any chances.
The vet examines Zoe and announces that she is NOT pregnant.
The vet says that either she was wrong when we brought her in the first time or that the kittens were naturally aborted and her body absorbed them. She said the bloating, what we took for a belly full of kittens, could be from the worms. She called it a flip worm and said it is a parasite we could have brought in from the outside and she could have picked up from our shoes. I asked about bugs because Zoë is the ultimate fly catcher. She said no, only if she ate a rodent. No rodents in our house...guess she got it off our shoes.
So no kittens on the way ...just two kitties being treated for flip worms. We are treating Surfboard because they share a litter box. He has no signs but could have caught it from her.
So I'm devastated that we are not having kittens. I've put so much emotion and energy into preparing. I'm so so sad.
BUT, on the positive side, I am glad that we are not contributing to the overpopulation problem. I'm very happy about that. Once I feel like talking, I'm going to call my friends who were waiting on kittens and beg them to go to the humane society and adopt. I'm hoping that my partner will feel bad enough for me that she'll agree to adopt a third kitty!! She was being a good sport about Zoë having kittens but I was definitely more excited. She thinks 2 is enough but she is such a sucker for our 2 that I think I could get her to agree, especially under these circumstances. Wish me luck.
So we're not having any cute babies running around that I get to call mine for a couple months, but hopefully we'll be able to save a few little kitty lives instead. I’ve wanted to volunteer at our local shelter but haven’t got around to calling yet…maybe I can be a foster mom or something.
Just thought I would let everyone know. Thank you all for being so supportive and offering so much advice.

BTW, Zoe has an appointment to get spayed next Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 01:37 AM

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. Even though you are glad you aren't contributing to overpopulation, I know it must be *so* hard to be all prepared for kittens and have that taken away. I completely uderstand your being upset....just try to hang in there and focus on the fact that maybe now you can save some lives. I'll be thinking about you....*hugs*

Ianthe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

Sorry there isn't kittens on the way, I know you were excited. But you have a great attitude in knowing you are helping the overpopulation problem. Good luck with Zoe's spaying next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Adavis, I appreciate the update. A disappointment in one way, but all for the best. I'm glad the condition was diagnosed and taken care of.

P.S. I still think your little female should be called, "your ladyship!"

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page