About time, countries should follow! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

About time, countries should follow!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5395867/

Its about time people had serious money and jail time to serve for dumping animals, I hope many more countries will follow italy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 AM

I hope so too. There's no prison time even for animal abuse!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I think that's a great idea. But with all the laws we already have about pets that aren't followed, it seems like requiring them to be microchipped won't work very well. It'd be worth a try though.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:01 AM

That's so great!! Especially the part about mandating microchipping. That should be done in the U.S. too. I think that shelters should do it for free, or at least include it in the adoption fee. Maybe sometime in the future...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 PM

Although the penalty is not as steep, Hawaii does have similar laws. Abandonment issues are made worse by such a high transient population in the islands. Military families come and go but leave their pets behind. Students do the same, as well as other young people who come to "live it up" in Hawaii for a few months or even a year. Then there are people who move to other islands and leave their pets behind on Oahu. Because there is a quarantine process, people choose not to deal with the hassle.
To address the problems, it is required by law that all cats, indoor or outdoor, have identification "on them." Micro-chipping is very big here. Any animal that is adopted through the Humane Society is already micro-chipped and vets do it regularly. The Humane Society claims that the number of lost cats reunited with their owner has risen drastically since the identification law was enacted and micro-chipping began. If your animal is found abandoned then you can be charged with a petty misdemeanor. Not as severe as in Italy but it’s something. As far as dogs go, you have to have a permit and I think they must be micro-chipped as well.
Maybe this is a model for other states to follow, if we didn’t steal it from the “mainland” already. FYI: Hawaii is 5 to 10 years behind the mainland. This is with just about everything--education, business practices, types of businesses, building materials and structural advances…the list goes on and on. But the beach is beautiful and sun is great all year. Except today, it’s raining.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:08 PM

Only microchiping dogs? Why not cats? *sigh* I don't know WHY anyone would dump their animal on the road side - why not put them in a shelter for God's sake? I don't understand some people.

I know some countries are working twords pet passports and whatnot - I hope that soon it'll be easier to bring our pets over seas without too much difficulty (such as quarentine) with the right papers. That might be why some animals get left behind.

I think it would be nice if he started trying for microchipping laws - but I wonder how many people would get rid of their animals or put false names on their pets to aviod getting in trouble? It might cause more problems here... but it is a good idea.

I'm thinking of microchiping my little pwecious Halifax once we leave college. Maybe sooner if the price is agreeable with my pocket book. I'm going to ask my cat's vet soon about prices. Does anyone have any advice about which microchip to use? I think there is an international one... and some other microchip? Should I get both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page