Shaving your cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Shaving your cat?

I can't take the cat hair anymore!! I've learned to live with picking little black hairs out of my food, vacuuming constantly, rolling my clothes off, rolling the bed...the couch...everything. But what if I don't have to "deal with it?" I'm thinking about shaving my kitties. We live in Hawaii so it's hot all the time. Central air is just now becoming popular. It just became standard in new homes recently. So we have a window unit which we only run when we're home so the house isn't always cool for the cats. I saw the post about the lion cut. Has anyone else shaved their cat? I think mine would be much cooler and I'd be much happier. There isn't really any reason they need their coats is there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
My cat was shedding a lot too, and I really thought about shaving him. I don't know why I didn't look into it any more. I'd still like to see if anyone else has done it

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Tom Cat

I just wouldn't be able to shave my cat...his coat makes him beautiful

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:13 AM

I can't bring myself to shave my cats either....they have beautiful coats too...don't they all?

Brushing them on a regular basis is a good way to control a lot of the hair. I know it works and if I can just get my daughter to do her job, we won't have so much hair floating around our house!

And by the way....most cats love being brushed!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:09 AM

I can't shave my cat. what would she groom; she spends about 1/3 of her day grooming. what I have found worked (I used to live with a person that was allergic to cats) was constantly vacuming and washing blankets and sheets and brushing her a LOT. You would have hardly known I lived with a cat. Let me know how it works out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:33 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Addison doesn't shed as much anymore, since I bought a bottle of stuff to put in his food with all the oils and such he needs for his coat. I'm sure a better diet will do the same, but until I get my shipment of the "good food" he'll be stuck with this stuff. He'll lay down to be brushed for a few moments, but usually not long before he just wants to chew on the brush

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM

Yep, I couldn't bear to shave my cat. I love their fur, although it is a nuisance at times to have to vacuum it up all the time!

Lisa
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Dylan being a Maine coon has a LOT of hair... We have a Dyson (allergy one) and thats seems to do us ok... We also have leather sofas so no hair tends to collect on that...

I also try and brush him a lot (when he will let me and stops playing with the brush!) And once a week he has a quick rinse in the bath to get rid of dust and hair mainly...

Saying that my dog (who lives with my parents) gets cut regularly (black and white collie!) and it does him the world of good! He also has oil in his food because clumps of black hair were coming off of him at one point and it really does the trick.

I suppose if you are going to do it - get it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Hayley x x
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

I think I was just overreacting yesterday! I cleaned my fridge and was totally grossed out to find in full of cat hair. That sounds awful doesn't it!! Okay so it wasn't FULL of cat hair...here's the thing. I have two crisper drawers at the bottom. I wipe them out frequently but yesterday I took the whole fridge apart and deep cleaned. Underneath the two drawers there was cat hair. How does it even get under there?!?!
I leave on the leeward side of the island so it's pretty dry and dusty. The dust PLUS the cat can be overwhelming. On top of that my whole house is hardwood floors. So you can't just vacuum the carpet and be done with it. It blows all over the place. First I sweep out the corners and then I vacuum. THEN I use my Swifter. It's GREAT for picking up hair. Then I mop. It's quite involved!
SO here's the plan. I'm going to start vacuuming EVERY day and using the Swifter every other day. Hopefully that will help. I'm also thinking about getting one of those air purifiers to help with the dust and the hair. I already change my sheet every 3 days...probably won't change that. I'm going to brush the kitties once a day. That will be a chore...they think the brush is a toy. I believe I was overreacted with the shaving deal. That was just the first thing that came to mind! I just didn't know if the hot weather was causing them to shed much more than they were supposed too. And their on a high quality diet already…does anyone know anything about special drops to add to help with their coat?
This wasn’t the best time for me to freak out about cat hair…I’m trying to convince my partner to get a third kitty!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis333
I think I was just overreacting yesterday!..... Underneath the two drawers there was cat hair. How does it even get under there?!?! <snipped> This wasn’t the best time for me to freak out about cat hair…I’m trying to convince my partner to get a third kitty!
It happens to all of us!! I know exactly what you mean - cat hair shows up in places that JUST AREN'T possible! Sometimes I just despair of all the floating hair seconds after I've thoroughly vacuumed the house to an inch of its life. I've found the right tools to help me cope, and I LOVE my handheld cordless vacuums.

I love my furrballs, thankfully they're all shorthair, but if I had a longhair I think I would need to get them haircuts sometimes. Just in case anyone is thinking of shaving their kitties, it's a perfectly normal thing to do - I know a Persian breeder who always do lioncuts on their kitties during the summer. It helps to curb the hairballs, keeps them cool and more comfortable. If you're not sure what you're doing, though, best bet is a professional groomer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page