Massaging cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Massaging cat

We got an orange tabby from SPCA (10 yrs old) last year. Over the past year he has taught himself to give me a massage with his little paws. Yes, I have to trim the claws for it to be bearable. He starts on my neck, then goes to each shoulder and arm. Sometimes he gets all four paws going and can do the lower back at the same time. This is far superior to any human massage I've had.

Anybody else had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:06 PM

This is called 'kneading'. Kittens do it to their mothers when they are young.. Kittens taken away from their mother to soon can develop kneading and suckling habits for years after the separation.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

almost every cat I've had has done that

This is the first time I could put the habit to good use. Thought it would make a good submission to "Funniest Home Videos".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:41 PM

Yeah that's where I'd seen it before But that's really interesting Aonir! I never knew that and my kitten does it sometimes to me. I thought it was 'cause he liked the texture of something I was wearing or something I don't know much about his background. Poor thing, so perhaps he was separated from his mom too soon.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Senior Cat

My Cleveland does that too. He was 7 weeks old when he was taken from his first home. I always feel bad about that. She first told me he was 12 weekd then admitted he was only 7 when I went to see him. He was such a poor baby being fed on cows milk and oily tuna. He wasn;t very well and I just had to take him home and look after him. He wasn't even with mum then so I've no idea how young he was when he left his mum. He loves kneading me when he'd purring away. I'll happily be his mum.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Addison does it ALL the time Even when I'm just petting him and he's happy, but has nothing close by to touch, he'll just stretch out and knead the air

The only time I don't appreciate how cute it is, is early in the morning when he does it to my face to say "feed me!" because a pay in the mouth is not a good start to any day.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Cool Cat

Assumpta is a big-time kneader, especially with me. She has learned exactly where our bladders are and massages them vigorously every morning to let us know it's time for breakfast. I've tried rolling over so she can only get to my back (hoping for a free massage), but she'll hop down beside me and start kneading sideways to see what vital organs are most tender.

She also does "air muffins," kneading the air when there's nothing there, when she's really blissed out. It's funny to watch the different ways she kneads me, though...sometimes it's very serious, purposeful, whiskers-drooping stuff, and other times, it's like she's doing it for form's sake, but not really paying attention (she'll forget to use both paws and just make little half-hearted movements with one paw, looking around and swiveling her ears).

My favorite posture, though, is "The Paw of Indecision," in which she sits there, with one paw sort of half-raised off the floor, flexing and unflexing it. She always does this when she's not quite sure of what to do next. Turns me into a drooling idiot every time I see it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I absolutely love the term "air muffins!" I've never heard anything like it before and its completely adorable! I'll have to start calling him my littler baker

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page