Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Help

The canned food gave my kitten diarrhea so four hours ago I crushed some dry food and mixed it with some water and she ate it right away. now she's vomiting I don't know what to do. I don't think it was the food her vomit is almost white like her hair. I pick it up and it's kind of elastic or spongy, could it be a hair ball? is it possible if she's about 6 -7 weeks old? I've never seen one and don't know what to do. Should I still give her food tonight? what can I do to help her?

oh another thing, she slept almost all day, is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Premier Cat

If she has diarrhea AND is vomiting AND you saw something white and elastic like in her vomit, maybe it's worms??? Most kittens have worms at that age. You should really get her to a vet ASAP.

You should continue to offer her food as well. Between the timing of our last post and up to this one, it doesn't seem likely that her symptoms developed from the food. She probably already had this problem.

Where did you get her?????? Do you have any history on her at all?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

And yes the sleeping is normal. Cats are nocturnal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

oh gosh thanks for answering me i'm so worried. She's still vomiting now it's like white saliva. I got her from this rescue center http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...eview=7 <br />
I don't have her vet papers the lady who gave her to me said she'll send it by mail. she has her shoots and was dewormed. the lady told me that i should give her a booster shot and wormed in 3 weeks.

The lady who works there picks these kittens somewhere in the south.
Thank you for your help.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

Did the shelter give you an emergency number you can call? Usually there is a short period where they will provide medical care if it's within like 2 weeks or so since you adopted the kitten. They also should have given you more information, such as the age and sex of the kitten.

Dr. Jean...are you around right now...sure could use you for this one...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

since i've adopted her from petfinder.com they gave me 2 free months insurance, which i'm going to activate right now.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 01:21 AM
Premier Cat

Keep a close eye on her. Try to keep her hydrated. I know it's difficult, but that's important. If she's not lethargic and otherwise seems alert and "normal" call the vet in the morning. She should see a vet anyway to get a check up and start her routine vaccinations if she hasn't started them at the shelter.

Let us know how she's doing!!! Good Luck...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

Any word on your kitten? Did you take her to the vet this morning?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I want to thank you for your help. I called the vet as you suggested and he told me to back up with the food. I should get her something for baby- kitten and little by little I shall introduce the other food. She practically slept throughout the night. Today she wants me to carry her all the time and wants to play with my hands, I guess that's a sign that she's getting better. She's not vomiting and still has a little bit of diarrhea. Thank you for your confort and advice. I didn't know what to do )
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Premier Cat

No problem! I'm a little surprised he said to back away from the food since kittens eat so frequently, but maybe she's reealllly young....?? Did he give you any indication of how old she is? Are you offering her canned kitten food or did you mean like a kitten formula. If he advised you to go the formula route, she must be really young...but didn't look that young in your pictures. Though i guess it's still hard to tell. I'm glad she's not as sick anymore. Our kitten wants to be held a lot too.

It's funny how much they change in such little time though. We've had Addison for 2 weeks and she's literally running around like a maniac now...leaping off of furniture that she was afraid to even climb down from at first. In any case, don't be scared about the sleepiness thing....they are little sleepyheads especially during the day.

Glad you were able to get some help with the vet over the phone and didn't have to spend a fortune only to find out she'll be alright. I know how it is being in college, so I feel your pain with having to miss classes and worry about funds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page