How dangerous is the toilet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

How dangerous is the toilet?

Our 9 week old Mango has started to investigate the toilet. I don't think she can get up to the seat but she sure tries. Our other two drink out of the toilet all the time even though we give them and endless supply of cool clean water.

Should I worry that she'll fall in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Senior Cat

I'd worry. My cat was infamous for getting into the wrong places, the toilet being his favourite. I had to keep the lid down all the time. Even then that didn't stop hi.. Here's a funny but icky story.
Cleveland was at home with my hubby when hubby decided he needed to use the facilities. He lifted lid and stood there doing the business. Cleveland thought this looked new and interesting and decided to catch the pee as it fell into the bowl. Hubby did the best he could to stop in but in a split second kitty was rather wet as he went head first into toilet with pee. My hubby deftly grabbed kitty and as Cleveland leapt out his hand, I came home from work. As normal, kitty came for cuddles and i lifted him getting my usual face rub! Hubby comes running out of toilet to hear me asking Cleveland had he been playing in the sink! It was showers all round that night

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:52 PM

I have to keep the toilet seat down all the time too. All my four are very curious as to the inside of the loo and seeing that they have fallen into the bath water a couple of times, I am not risking it. I think Mango may be a bit small to fall into the toilet so I would definitely keep the lid down. But as Misty has said accidents happen. Misty that was so funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:59 PM

maybe I'm just paranoid, but I worry about flushing my kitten down the toilet, which is why I try to keep him away from it.

it's silly, I know.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I keep the bathroom door closed unless I am in it - when they hear the door open, they b-line it in there. At least you're never alone in the bathroom hehe.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:38 PM

Kiera investigates, and walks on the toilet bowl a bit, but she's pretty big now so I don't think she's at any kind of risk to drown or anything right now. But when she was little, I was worried and kept the cover down.

What *is* it with cats and being present for the bathroom activities? Kiera just hears me turn the light on and BOLTS full speed into the bathroom, onto the tub, and then onto the sink. She sits there, purring, while I am... err... using the facilities, and then watches the toilet go and waits for me to turn the water on so she can drink out of the sink.

When I do manage to get the door shut before she gets in, she lays on her side and all of the sudden I see paws shooting out from under the door. Sometimes this can be quite distracting, especially when I have guests that certainly aren't going to let her in!

I've pretty much stopped caring if she's there or not... but I don't understand the fascination!

Here is a picture of Kiera drinking out of the sink (ignore the URL, photos were mixed with a batch if graduation photos, which suprised my friend when I gave them to her!)

http://www.violina23.com/samantha-gradu ... 010007.JPG

-Heather
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:38 PM

My kitties love the bathroom and yes, they fall in the toilet. They did when they were babies and they still do now. They always bounce right back out, like they have springs, so I haven't been worried about drownings. I once had an older cat fall into the toilet and, n her frenzy, kncock the lid shut. She was a wet mess, but fine when I opened it up. And she still drinks from the bowl.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Cat Addict

I always keep the lid down...I was worried about drowning. Thomas seems to just do things and think about the consequences later. Like jumping behind the washer and dryer repeatedly, even though he knows he can't get out until I move one or the other.

He's never managed to get in the toilet (thank God). But I do have an interesting toilet story. This winter I got the flu...feeling very ill I went to the bathroom and was knelling there before the toilet, feeling so sick. Thomas thought this was all very interesting and so sat on top of the tank observing. Then just when I thought I couldn't feel worse, Thomas knocked the seat down, which banged, very hard into the back of my head...Ow. I was just reaching up a hand to replace the seat when the lid followed, banging into the seat which was still resting against my head. That had to be the worst flu I ever had...along with a great headache.

Thank you Thomas.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Great stories everyone. I am suprised to hear that most of you try to keep your cats away from the bowl. I thought most people let their animals drink from the eternal water supply.

Our Bagheera won't let me use the bathroom unless he's in there with me and most often is not satisfied with just being in there with me, he has to sit on my lap!

Anyway, our older two have never fallen in. I suppose Mango will have to be watched closely until I think she's big enough and won't have a problem jumping out of the toilet if she accidentally falls in.

Funny.....even though our older two love to drink out of the toilet, they won't have anything to do with water coming out of a faucet!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 07:02 PM

My cat used to drink out of the toilet, though everyone tried to remember to keep the lid closed. Then one day I'm sitting in the kitchen and I hear a loud splash and a surprised meow and see Clover running out of the bathroom, soaking wet. She never tried it after that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page