My Cat is afraid of Mother Cat ie Cat wars - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

My Cat is afraid of Mother Cat ie Cat wars

I found a mother cat with 5 kittens in my garage. They were running
around when I found them. I have been trying to tame them and
get them use to people so I can give them away. I have not had
much luck with that because they will only me allow to handle them and
the are still very shy and afraid of people.
With all this going on the mother cat has broght the kittens close to the
house and is making my semi-house adult female cat afraid of the mother cat. My cat aways want to stay in porch of the house. She is not allowed in the house but is restircted to my porch and basement. When I let her out she is getting too close to the highway because the mother cat is forcing her out of her area around our house.
I think the only thing I can do is to call animal control and get rid
of the mother cat and kittens but I hate to do that because I think
their days would then be numbered. I don't want my cat to get hurt
or killed in this situation. I put an ad in the paper to get rid of the
kittens but no one wants semi tamed kittens & mother cat.
Is there a solution here
Thank you,
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:53 PM

First of all your own cat is in danger every day of losing its life. A lot of people find this a touchy subject and each does as they think is best. The majority of the catforum members consider that letting our cats outdoors is extremely dangerous and chose not to. But there are also some that disagree. We respect each other's opinions, however. You have to understand that we only have in mind the well-being of the cats since we are all cat/animal lovers.
Dangers like cars, dogs, wild life birds ( can kill little kittens) or even other cats or people could harm a cat fatally. Even if it weren't for the stray cat ..some time in there future there might be another animal (cat, dog, raccoon) that will make your kitty run towards the highway. You cannnot attribute it to this kitty but for the time being.
As far as helping the moher cat with her babies there are two humane ways to take care of it.
You can either get very involved and work with them trying to tame them untill they will be ready to be found forever homes for. Or you can try and get in touch with as many NO KILL shelters in your area and see which one could take them in.
I have been in your situation and it can be done. Try to get somebody else to come outside and talk to them and hold them ..give it time and they will learn to trust. If that doesn't work the last solution should be them going to ONLY A NO KILL shelter and nothing else.
Please post any questions you have about trying to tame the babies if you can continue to hold on to them - which would be best. If you do so feed both your cat and the stray at the same time, talk in an affectionate manner to them so they asociate your loving them with food..this way the mother cat may not be so aggresive
Best of luck and let us know how it goes
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 03:47 PM

eep

since the mama has already invaded your basement, and you have already taken steps to tame them and find them homes, why not just set them up in the basement. your kitty will then be able to resettle her turf as far as the porch is concerned. also since you cat is a female, it probably wouldnt be that much of a bother to let her in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page