Selfish kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Selfish kitty

I think I'm going to have to occasinally lock Baxter in the basement for about an hour a night. As soon as I sit down to watch TV Baxter makes a bee-line for my lap and stays there the whole time I'm sitting. Barnaby would always lay on my lap once a night for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour but since Baxter is occupying my lap, and Barnaby is not the kind of cat to push his way in I think the only way Barnaby will get some lap time is for me to lock Baxter away.

I feel bad for Barnaby. He used to just love being brushed and would "ask" to have it done a few times a day. Now anytime I start brushing him he gets up and leaves the room as soon as Baxter enters (which is usually as soon as I start). I don't think Barnaby dislikes him because they play together and seem to get along fine, Barnaby even grooms him. But I feel like Barnaby is being deprived of the things he used to enjoy.

Anyone else experience something like this with a new cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
Going through almost the exact same thing. And it stinks! The only thing is, when i try to put Teagan somewhere, Tierney just sits at the door and waits for her to come out, or they play under the door. He just doesn't seem to want to do any of the old things. He just wants her. Which is cool that they get along and he loves her and everything, but it bothers me.

I don't feel like a good kitty mommy. I keep hoping in time that he will stop having to watch her at every moment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I've felt the same way - but my cats don't get along :/ Samhain hides up on the bookshelf most of the time now. She used to come and greet us between 1 and 5 minutes after we had gone to bed, but she doesn't do that anymore.. She's not nearly as cuddly cuz she's always hiding from Psi.. It upsets me too, I miss my old Samhain-y. Right now having Sigma here alone tho... he is Totally different than when he was living with Samhain and Psi. When he was there, all he wanted to do was play with Psi. But now he follows me everywhere and he talks to me, sleeps with me at night, goes camping (hehe) and he's very cuddly. So, I dunno. I kinda like having a single cat.... Not so say I regret getting Psi in the least because I love him to death, I just miss the things that cats do when You're their only friend. Y'know?

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Cat Addict

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Kitty is not super affectionate, but she used to sleep with me every night, cuddled up against my side. Since Thomas came, she NEVER sleeps with me anymore, ever. Thomas chases her out of the bedroom when ever she trys to lay with me. Occasionally, I lock Thomas out and let Kitty stay in...but we both feel bad for Thomas who cries out in the hallway. I miss the days when she was my best buddy, following me around and talking to me all day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I've found that when I put Baxter away in the basement, Barnaby will look for him and sit at the door when he hears meowing on the other side. Last night I locked him in the corner room in the basement (where I originally kept him when I first got him - it's kind of like his room) and Barnaby can't hear him from upstairs. But Barnaby did lay on my lap and purr for a while. I just don't want him to lose that affection he's used to. It seems like doing that once in a while will work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:00 PM

I was warned that Stephen might change towards me when I tried to get a kitten last fall. It didn't work out whatsoever, but I'm glad it didn't now (hindsight, of course). She hates all other cats and is terrified of them. I would hate for her to change. It's been she and I against the world for 5 years now, and I couldn't do it without her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page