I need a new litter box... suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I need a new litter box... suggestions?

I think Addison's litter box is too small for him. He definately walks very slowly and seems a little uncomfortable going in it. The other problem I have, is he can't keep the litter in it! I put new litter in the other day, and by that night I had two huge piles of litter on the newspaper on both sides. He also tends to "miss" and get stuff stuck on the insides and top edges of the box.

I could go to the pet store and try to find a really big one with high sides so he won't kick as much out, but there's got to be a cheaper alternative. I think I've read that some of you use things like big rubbermaid containers or something.

I keep it under my desk, and don't mind how big it is as long as it'll fit under there. I think about 2 1/2 feet is the longest. How deep do you think it should be? I guess I keep about two inches of litter in it, and I really just want it high enough that it all stays inside. If its too high, he may not want to get in it.

Any ideas?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 08:32 PM

I have become a HUGE fan of rubbermaid containers for litter boxes. They come in tons of shapes and sizes, they are cheap, and my cats absolutely LOVE theirs. Here is a picture of mine:

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:00 PM

wow that looks huge. what are the dimensions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 PM

It IS huge We bought it when we had Boris...he could not fit into any normal box. Gaylord and Ashley quickly decided it was so much better than either of theirs The demensions are 40" X 20" X 7", and it is 66qts
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 AM

my cat doesnt cover her poop after she goes, she is constantly throwing tons of litter outside the box, is it too small for her? she will dig down to the bottom on one side pushing all the litter to the other and spilling it all over the floor. its driving me nuts. it is a decent size, its one of the larger litter boxes from walmart. i was thinking about getting one of those rubbermaid ones to see how that went though. i'm sick of sweeping up litter!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM

I have a booda dome and it works great.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I just don't think he would use a dome type, even though I'd really really like a covered box. Maybe one day I'll figure out something that works.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 03:38 PM

I use something from rubbermaid (or similar brands), but with taller sides and not so long as the picture above. It's a pretty cheap buy at any discount store. They are about 2x3 feet and about 2 feet tall. The first one I cut a swath out of one side to make a doorway, but later I realized my cats didn't need it. They jump in easily. It's not covered so their not worried about being attacked (which is I think a problem with covered boxes). It makes a nice big litter box.

I use these because I have one cat that lifts up as he pees. In these boxes it just dribbles down into the litter, in most other boxes it was a mess all over! It would help with excess digging too.

~Heather
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:57 PM

i just bought one of those rubbermaid underbed boxes ab 43x20x7

i'm hoping this will help. my kitty tends to dig a lot and throw tons of litter outside of the box. i hope this will make her cover her poop as well. bc she can really clear out a room, and since i live in a small apt, well lets just say as soon as you walk in the door you know when shes been! man oh man do i really hope she will be better at using this one....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:02 PM

Beachbaby- Thats about the size of mine....I bet you will love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page