Cat Leashes? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cat Leashes?

Do any of you use (or have used) a cat leash? Since we don't live in a cat-friendly area right now, but Skeeter keeps wanting to explore the outdoors, I've been thinking about getting one for him and taking him out for walk-abouts in my garden when I go out in the evenings. Our vet said they could special order one for us. But, will Skeeter like it? Will it get on his nerves? Will it hurt him??
We have a bird feeder and bird bath in our back yard that tons of birds and squirrles come to every day, and Skeeter sits on his little condo next to the window and I feel so bad for him. He gets ready to pounce (the little butt-shake) but then seems to remember that there's that glass thing keeping him from jumping. I'd like to take him out just to see what being outside is like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Premier Cat

My cats hate it. They fight it all the way to the door. Even the kitten and I'v tried her with it several times. I know that cyberpet has a lot of success with her kitties outside on a leash though!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Cat Addict

In my experience, taking a cat outside at all is tricky if you don't plan to let him be out whenever he wants. Sometimes ignorance really *is* bliss! Many cats who have been out on a leash will become door-rushers in an effort to get out on their own, which is very dangerous:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... oroutdoors

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

DrJean, you hit on what I was worried about the most. Right now, Skeeter hangs out by the door if we leave or when he hears us come home. And when we open the door, he'll poke his little head out or walk out onto the front porch to sniff around. But he does not rush at the door or past us when the opportunity presents itself. My last cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, so it's been hard keeping this little one from seeing the world. However, I'd rather he be safe from harm or chance and wait 10 months or so before we can move into a more cat-friendly area for him to start discovering the "great outdoors." I guess we'll hold off on taking him out--even on a leash. He'll just have to keep watching the birds and squirrles from the window. ...I wonder if cats think window are like TV's??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

Unforunately, I think I may have already made that mistake.
Addison now runs out the front door EVERY time I open it. She hates the leash and doesn't want to go out on it, but will charge through the door every time I open it. She did not do that until i tried her on the leash the 2nd time. Ever since then....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:54 AM

I would LOVE to take my kitties outside, but I don't for fear of the reasons mentioned above.
I know that they would become little door rushers for sure!!
My poor sister has a cat that escapes often and she often has to spend hours crouched under her neighbors bushes convincing her cat to come back home, of course always at the most inconvienent times when she needs to be somewhere. She has had some success with training her to stay back from the door when it's opened, and luckily has a 2nd door that can be shut just a few feet from the main door they use, but her kitty knows when an unsuspecting guest is over, that is when her chances for escape are at their best!!
I too would recommend keeping your kitty "ignorant"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:25 AM

i got my cat a leash from target. it was very inexpensive. only 3 or 4 dollars

its more of a harness and its got a drawstring method to it so it is all one piece and the harness can be adusted very easily to size. it takes some getting used to. shes still not very comfortable with it. but it takes some time patience and a lot of playing. she is coming around to it. i would try looking at target before special ordering one bc i am sure they are quite expensive that way. also petsmart.com has some great tips on leash training cats.. ill see if i can find the link to it for you! best of luck!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page