I'm Sorry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I'm Sorry

I want to take this opportunity to say, "I'm sorry."

I was on my way home tonight, driving through rural Tennessee on a single-lane highway that was quite busy. I was in front of a car that was impatiently trying to get around me, but they couldn't because there was too much traffic coming the other way. So, as both of us pass a group of three cars coming the other way, a possum suddenly appears in front of my car... *sigh*

I want to say to the Universe that I'm sorry..

---

I've had a rough night. I was very upset and I had to pull over and let Joe drive the rest of the way home. *sigh*

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

You poor thing! That's terrible. I know exactly how you feel...I did the same thing recently....

(see post: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7939 )

It was NOT your fault! Don't beat yourself up over it!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks.. *sigh*

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

I know you feel terrible, but it truly was an accident!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I understand that it was an accident, and that there's nothing *I* could have done to stop it.. I just get upset because at times like this, I loathe being human. I hate that we build machines that can murder innocent animals. I hate that we move into their habitat and never have a second thought about it. *That's* why I feel so horrible...

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Premier Cat

When you put it like that...I totally agree with you.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry...it is so distressing to be the cause of a critter's death, no matter how accidental it was.

Maybe it will make you feel better if I tell you about my very worst day ever. I was driving to work in Newport Beach. I often took the "back way" through a quiet neighborhood to avoid the traffic on the major streets. This particular morning I was driving (way too fast, as usual in my younger days!), when a bird suddenly swooped in front of the car. Nothing I could do. I looked in the rear view mirror and sure enough, there was the dead bird laying in the street. I felt awful.

I brought my eyes and attention back to the street in front of me, and there, smack dab in the middle of the street, stood a squirrel. He spun and darted right under my front tire, and splat, I got him too. Aaarrrgghh!!

I suppose I became a vet at least partly to atone for killing those two poor animals!!

Over the years I've come to understand that there is a reason for everything, even if we don't know what it is at the time. I have seen a number of wild animals hit by cars that were sick or severely parasitized or otherwise doomed for some reason. In fact, I started to think that many animals choose "suicide by car" to avoid a more prolonged and painful death. So in a way you may actually have been an angel of mercy to that little guy. At least it was quick and as painless as could be.

Hugs,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Strange, isn't it..? After I pulled over, I collapsed into tears and all I could keep saying was, "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry.."

I've always said that if I could have one wish, I'd make every animal on the planet know about how dangerous the roads are.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Cat Addict

yeah, I hit a squirrel last week and felt the same way, did all I could to avoid it, but there was an impatient Ford F150 right on my a$s. First time I've hit anything in well over 10 years.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:21 AM

We almost hit an opossum on the way home from a friend's tonight - it was dark and the road is really up-and-down, you can't see very far ahead. I'm saying something to my boyfriend when the headlights illuminate an opossum RIGHT on the side of the road. I shrieked. But I don't think we hit it. I really hope not. Always gives me near heart-attacks when I see an animal on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page