Cat-proofing windows - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Cat-proofing windows

It's not so much a problem since the thunderstorms and cool weather started, but I have a concern. See, our house has only one small AC that keeps just one room cool (the bedroom - or, it did until the dog broke it *sigh*). The office generally gets really really hot thanks to the two computers, so the windows are open all the way. The living room has some really great cross-ventilation, if you open the windows on both sides of the room, you get a really nice breeze going through there.

But my worry is the screens. All the windows in this house have screens on them, so the cat can't easily get out. But are the screens really secure? I checked the living room screens, they all latch from both sides, I don't think they'd come out very easily. So how about the rest of you? Do you open your windows in your house? How do you secure the screens so the cat can't get out? Is there anything else I can do? I already thought, hmm, duct tape, but that would look REALLY tacky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Cat Addict

I've lived with insecure screens, and I took the most direct road to fixing the problem, though it ain't pretty! I hammered nails into the window frame from the outside, at an angle so they would hold the screen securely. I put these mostly around the bottom half of the screen since that is the most likely area for the cats to push at.

Now I have secure screens, but they are full of holes. And yep, for that I used duct tape! (There are screen patching kits that look better, and one of these days I'll get around to that!)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks! There's a lot of different worries for a cat compared to a german shepherd! Every time I think the house is pet-proof one of them finds something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
I don't worry so much about the screen's frame coming out, it's the screen tearing away from the frame that worries me.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Cat

Can I just say I'm jealous you need to worry about screens I had the heating on yesterday. I know ther are Uk companies that do make screens for windows. Why not try a web search and see if there are any cheap companies.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Heating - yikes! I actually prefer the cold weather... I feel bettre when snuggled into my sweatshirt and sweatpants and snuggled into thick blankets with the boyfriend. This heat just kills me though. It's been really crazy the last week or two - it'll be really really hot one minute, you open all the windows, then a huge thunderstorm hits and it pours and you have to run around closing all the windows.... yuck! I'm just really glad the dog doesn't get upset by the storms! (My border collie back home, she FREAKS at thunder and lightning. )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Where are you Envy? I don't much like the heat either. I moved down to Tennessee from the Canadian Rockies and let's just say that I'm not used to humidity, nor will I ever be. Ugh. And it's been HOT. I can't wait until October. I prefer the cool weather, too. But -40C (or F, same thing) isn't any fun either hehe. Wish we had the thunderstorms tho! I'd guess you were in Florida.

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Nope, not florida... we're actually north-east, in MA. The weather's been really weird this summer. The past two summers it was nice - a little hot at times, but wonderful for swimming. This year it's just nuts... humid then cold, then thundering, then horribly hot... ugh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page