Is it a myth that a cat can sense its owner's mood? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Is it a myth that a cat can sense its owner's mood?

In the year that I've owned my cats, I've gone through many extreme moods and illnesses. I've been mild to moderatly sick, depressed, bored, tired, happy, excited, etc. During all of these times, I haven't really noticed any change in my cats. The closest thing is when I yell at one cat to get his attention away from something. It doesn't really work on that cat, but my other cat meows and runs up to me.

Is it only some cats? Or just an urban legend? Anyone have some stories to share? I am certain at least that my cats cannot sense most of the negative emotions above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:35 PM

So far there's no way to tell. It's pretty subjective right now. My first kitty used to be on me within 10 seconds of me starting to cry, and she licked my tears a few times. She seemed to know when it would make me feel better to have her near me. My current kitties don't seem to do that, but I don't think I have really cried since I"ve had them, so who knows. They *do* however, begin to climb all over me and meow like crazy any time I start to sing. lol. I'm sure plenty of people here can tell you about sympathetic kitties.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:45 PM

I'm in the same boat - even my dog never really seems to show much concern when I'm upset. She'll come sit with me if I ask her to and loves to get some lovies, but I don't see a difference from when I'm upset or not.

The parents' cats wouldn't come to me if I called them. I have a feeling that, if they even care when I'm upset, they'd just laugh.

My new kitty, we'll have to see. It's not been very long and we're still getting used to each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Cat

Cleveland is a very sensitive kitty. I'd had an awful day at work, stress from other stuff etc and broke my favourite plate (petty but enough to make me cry) so I plonked down on the sofa and cried. Cleveland appeared, purring and licked my tears away. He lay on my lap and kneaded me till I calmed down. He always seems to know when I need a hug. He also knows if I'm in a really good mood to bring as many toys to me as possible for fun.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:23 PM

I think it's sometimes true, but maybe it's just a side aspect. I know when I'm sad I tend to slouch down on the bed or couch and my cats love to cuddle me in that position...so I suspect I'm just more cuddly when I'm sad. I have noticed one or another seeming more intensely interested in me than usual when I'm crying. Maybe they want to comfort, or maybe it's just odd and they are checking it out or worried? Either way it feels comforting.

If my husband and I fight my cats get very agitated, running between us, as if unable to choose sides! This may also be illusion.

Other emotions they don't seem to mind either way - happy, bored, tired, etc. They do seem eager to join in when I get silly with them -- they get playful quickly.

I think it's part of the unconditional love. They like me always, in any mood. They even like me PMSing!

~Heather
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:36 PM

Quote:
If my husband and I fight my cats get very agitated, running between us, as if unable to choose sides! This may also be illusion.
Awww, that's cute. Our dog does that, well, Oreo moreso than Zeeke. Oreo is a very protective dog, she wouldn't let anyone lay a finger on a family member - so when my brother, my dad and I wrestle, she just barks at us as if to tell us to cut it out, then she runs over and beats the stuffing out of one of her toys. LOL!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Tom Cat

My cat seems to come and it and just stare at me if im mad or yelling...i have cried and he just came and layed down and looked at me...he was probably thinking ..she is so weird!

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM

If I'm crying or mad my cat (Maleke in particular) will come and hunch over and stare at me. Then he will slowly creep over, and try to lie in my lap or cuddle up in my arms if I'm lying down. I don't get this kind of response from Magic, so maybe some animals can sense it more than others.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Senior Cat

There all probably wondering why we don't just lick our fur and calm down or swat the other person!

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
What a nice world it would be with no cats.
Come again?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page