Transporting Cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Transporting Cats

There is a chance I may be moving several states away in the near future. How would I go about transporting my two cats? I don't want to keep them cooped up in their carriers for the 14 hour car ride. Are there services that do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 AM

I don't know about services, but are you planning on driving or flying? Flying can be done with a cat in the cabin with you - I'll be doing this with my new kitty in two weeks, so I'll be able to tell you then how it goes. Driving is a bit easier in some ways because you can stop and you have much less restrictions. It is longer, of course, though.

If you're going to be driving perhaps you can get a large carrier so that they have more room? Or put two face-to-face, one with a bed, one with kitty litter?

Either way I'd recommend taking the kitties for short car rides, getting them used to whatever carrier you'll be using, and the motion. Some cats do get motion-sick, and most will get very nervous if they aren't introduced to cars beforehand. I'm letting my kitty play in and sleep in his new carrier and will start doing short drives with him.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure someone has done it before and can offer tips. Your kitties might not be happy about it, but it'll all go fine. Good luck on your move!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Cool Cat

If you're driving, i think they will be ok. buy a big crate or get a hold of a big box, line it, take their litter box and food and put it in there. I'm sure they'll be able to handle it. Are you planning on stopping somewhere overnight, or press on to make it a one day trip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

It would be a 14 hour drive so most likely there would be one stop. Would I shut the top of the box? I don't really want them roaming around the car.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 07:06 AM

Yes, it it much safer to cats to travel enclosed in a crate (or box!).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Cool Cat

Not only is it safer for the cats to travel in their crates or carriers, but cats usually prefer it. The confines make them feel safer--especially if you also include their favorite blanket or toys to make the surroundings more familiar. It helps to get your pets familiarized and friendly with their carriers before hand. We store Skeeter's toys in his carrier, and he'll lay in it and take naps occasionally. It feels like a "safe place" to him now. Cats will cry in the car, but that is because the movement/sounds of the car frighten them. So, I would also suggest taking your little ones for car-trips around the neighborhood, then perhaps around town for a while.
Most of the time, cats will settle down after a while of being in the car. Most likely, they'll sleep most of the way (like most of us!) if you get them familiar enough to the car. Keep the windows closed and keep the car cool inside--they don't like the sound of the wind, it scares them. Play soothing music. And I would suggest keeping food and water rationed to prevent car-sickness if they are proned to it. I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page