Iams Protest - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Iams Protest

Found this in local News today

Animal rights activist to take pet food fight to Princes Street

A HIGH-PROFILE animal rights activist is set to protest in the Capital against a top pet food manufacturer.

Yvonne Taylor, who was arrested and deported from China after stripping naked for an anti-fur protest in 2002, has organised a "snarl-in" demonstration on Princes Street tomorrow.

Ms Taylor, the newly appointed Scottish campaigner for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), said she was protesting against animal testing by pet food manufacturer Iams - which she claims is cruel. She will be joined at the foot of Castle Street by her pet Jack Russell, Zack, and around a dozen other dogs.

Ms Taylor, 32, who was born in Penicuik, said: "

All other pet food manufacturers manage to avoid testing on animals, but Iams harm cats and dogs by conducting tests on them. It is my mission in life to stop them.

"I live in Edinburgh so I thought it would be appropriate for Zack and I to start our nationwide tour here."

Ms Taylor, who also gatecrashed two Paris fashion shows last year to protest against the use of fur, has invited members of the public to join her demonstration. She will be handing out leaflets from noon and wearing a specially designed costume incorporating a television screen.

A spokeswoman for Iams said today: "This is a routine publicity stunt by animal rights activists.

"These allegations are well over a year old, highly sensationalised and laced with untruths.

"The truth of the situation is that the Iams company has an industry-leading research policy, verified by an independent advisory board of global veterinary and welfare experts."

I had heard Iams was bad but can't remember if it was here or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:41 AM
Premier Cat

As soon as I saw this the first thing who came to mind was peta

Im not sure if it is iams themselves or Proctor&Gamble (the owners of iams) they make a multitude of stuff.
I saw a clip once of what was sposed to be inside iams company, the animals were in a terrible state. That video was from peta too, ive learnt to become cautious of them tho becuase they are so extreme and its hard to believe in some cases whats the truth.

Ive heard about iams and Ekuanuba (same company) in may places tho, even customers in the petstore I work in.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I had heard that about Iams before, both from the PeTA site and elsewhere. I do know, from researching this, that Proctor&Gamble are almost notorious is their use of animals for testing, so it would not surprise me at all if this included Iams and Eukanuba. I would suggest you take a look at the PeTA site, with a very objective mindset, but also remembering they don't make all this stuff up:

http://www.iamscruelty.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Cat Addict

Re: Iams Protest

Quote:
Ms Taylor, 32, who was born in Penicuik, said: "

All other pet food manufacturers manage to avoid testing on animals, but Iams harm cats and dogs by conducting tests on them. It is my mission in life to stop them.
This statement is certainly false. *Most* pet food companies DO still test on animals. Purina, Hills and Waltham all maintain large kennels for this purpose. Smaller companies contract out to labs. Iams does both.

I worked closely with both In Defense of Animals and PETA on the Iams issue, trying to get them to discontinue or at least limit the invasiveness of their testing. They refused to cooperate at every turn. They wanted us to agree that peritoneal dialysis was a non-invasive procedure--NOT! Overall they were devious and dishonest. I don't believe that they ultimately made any real changes for the better.

Procter & Gamble, Iams' parent company (since 1999) does a massive amount of unnecessary and cruel animal testing on its own products. Even if Iams shaped up, I still wouldn't want to support P&G by buying Iams products. Of course, Iams and Eukanuba are not good quality foods, anyway, so it's no great loss to avoid them!

PETA does have an online list of companies that don't test on animals; some of them (but not all) make good quality pet food. If animal testing is an issue for you, that is certainly a good place to start.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
EEEEeeeeeeekkkk Dylan is on Hills Science diet dry kitten food

Considering changing it now
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:01 AM

Well, this thread has become disheartening to me, as I've always fed my furbabies Iams kitten food. I've always been told it's a quality product, contrary to Dr. Jean's assessment. I'm definitely willing to change, but need some advice on what's nutritionally best. I feed my boys a can of wet food in the morning and evening, but leave dry food out all day for them. Need help here, what's the best dry food to give them???
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I am def. not keen on the idea of feeding Dylan stuff that from a company that tests on animals... How hypocritical do they want to be!

" feed your cat/dog with our nutrious food, only the best for your pet..... while we murder a few others"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Cat Addict

There is no one best food for every animal. Each individual will do better on some, worse on others.

Your greatest weapon against the pet food companies is education. Once you know the truth about what's in the food and how to find foods that are acceptable, you can easily avoid the highly hyped but not-so-great foods like Hills and Iams. Here's an article on how to do that:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004

The next thing to be aware of is how bad dry food is for cats, especially for kittens. Dry food causes weight gain, diabetes, urinary tract problems, and more.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
Kittens especially need to be fed a wide variety of foods in order to prevent finicky, food-addicted behavior in the future.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 05:57 PM

It always warms my heart in a strange way to see topics such as this about Iams/P&G.

It's also an improtant mission of mine as well for several years now.

Before Iams and Proctor and Gamble merged, yes Iam's themselves did participate in animal testing.

While I am not a large fan of PETA due to the way the go about things, I do keep up on them and IDA, more so IDA I will participate in.
I am looking into getting my own window decal made for my car that will list such information about Iams/Euk/P&G, a decal/sticker which is not affiliated with something such as PETA.
As often times as someone see's something about PETA and other such organizations they will immediatly turn their heads with the excuse of "they are just stupid extremist, I'm sure Iam's is really a great company" etc etc.

And yes it IS a lie that iams are the only ones who participate in animal testing now adays. In addition to the ones Dr. Jean mentioned, another big one is Royal Canin, basically affiliated with Waltham or Advantage pet foods.

I would love to play a bigger part in this fight against companies such as Iams but it is true, I am only one person. There are typically no events held near me, and even when they are in the tri state area I do not want to be seen as a full supporter of organizations like PETA.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:07 PM

Wow, I knew about Iams testing on animals but not Purina, Hills etc. I managed to get the owner of the pet store I work at to stop carrying Iams (hooray) but I highly doubt he's going to agree to get rid of all the Hill's and Purina foods. Wow, that is really sad. How can people even have the heart to do something painful to an animal. If I see an animal in pain all I want to do is help. I can't imagine inflicting pain on a helpless being just so that I benefit from the results. It really is disgusting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page