Moving House with my Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Moving House with my Cat

Hello everyone. At the end of this week, I am moving house with my beloved feline friend, Rufus. I am temporarily moving back in with my parents, as I have not yet found a new flat. My parents are refusing to have Rufus at their house, because of their very old and unfriendly cat and because Rufus has a tendancy to scratch furniture. This means that Rufus will be temporarily moving in with my aunty and her family. It's not an ideal situation, but it will suffice for the moment. But I am now racked with guilt. As well as uprooting him from his familiar territory and subjecting him to a two hour car journey, I will then be leaving him with unfamiliar people and an umfamiliar cat for an unknown length of time. And then, just as he begins to settle in there, I'll be uprooting him again when I find a flat for us. I am feeling so bad about putting him through all this turmoil. Is there anyone out there who can offer me any advice to make this transition as easy for him as possible? Anything I can do to reduce his stress? And will he forget me if he's staying with my aunty and I'm not the one looking after him for a while? I know it may sound like I am overreacting, but I love my cat very much, he has been a constant companion through three very difficult years and I only want the best for him. Please feel free to respond online or e-mail [email protected]

Many thanks.

Lisa and Rufus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:04 AM

Hi Lisa, I have some experience in moving house with cats I have moved my 5 cats 4 times in the last 6 years, they don't like moving I have to admit but they quickly settle in to new homes.
To help Rufus settle into your aunts house it is best he has his own room to start with, somewhere he can be quiet and feel safe and away from your aunts cat to begin with.

There are lots of atticles that it would be good for you to read on this website http://www.animalbehaviorassociates....n_articles.htm make sure you read 'Helping your cat cope with change' it is exactly what you need to know!

Rufus will NOT forget you, my cats always remember my brother who lived with them nearly 10 years ago even if he hasn't been around here for months and months when he turns up they always know who he is, you can just tell they know.

I hope it all goes well for you both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page