EEK! Expensive vet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

EEK! Expensive vet food

Well the vet ordered some of the special food to help Cleveland's allergy. 4 days worth of food is costing me over $10! We are having such a hard time finding something suitable. I read up on the raw diets but the vet didn't sound to keen on me makin my cat's food, I understand it can be quite difficult to get the right balance. Even the special food has a risk it may contain beef etc becuse they don't list ingredients fully e.g what the animal fat is type thing. I'll pay the more exoensive food if I know it will work. Poor Clevey cat!

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Cat Addict

Petguard, Merrick, and Nature's Variety (also called Prairie) all make good quality (far better than "prescription" foods), relatively hypoallergenic canned foods. You can often get these brands at feed stores, health food stores, and online (www.petfooddirect.com); or contact the manufacturer directly to find the nearest distributor. They all have websites that are easy to find.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Problem I have is shipping. Because I live in the UK it would cost me a fortune to get it here. I think us Scots are waaaayyyy behind the rest of the world for kitty food.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 05:37 PM

My question is... did your vet not sound keen on the whole home made food diet because he is under the beliefe it is not good, or simply because he does not know enough about it him/herself?

I would not give up on that option, research it some more. It CAN be done, many people out there do make home made diets for various types of animals. It's good that you know your cats allergy already.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:00 PM

You can also make raw by using the liver and meat plus adding the supplement from this canadian company http://www.felinefuture.com/. Shipping to the U.S. for me was pretty inexpensive. For a months supply it was $19. It includes everything but the meat. Much cheaper than prescription and especially if you are inclined to try raw if you are unable to find premium canned foods in your area but you have chicken or rabbit available. It's a small investment just to try. Right now my kitty is on the canned Wellness chicken and canned Wellness turkey because he was about to go on a prescription diet for his allergy. He was throwing up, constant scratching and hairloss (possibly IBD). I did research and found out how crappy some of the prescription dry foods are. So rather than invest in getting a bunch of supplements and vitamins I'm getting the feline future product and am going to try it that way. He is doing REALLY well though with the canned. So, if you can find a premium canned go for it. But, raw in my opinion is best for cats. Your vet just may not be comfortable because he/she isn't knowledgeable about raw. You just have to follow the recipe to a T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page