Our two cats are fighting like strays - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Our two cats are fighting like strays

We have two cats, male and female that just starting fighting like two strays. Both are indoor cats and we've had them both for about 7 years. We moved into a house a year ago and our neighbor has a few outdoor cats. One day the neighbor's cat jumped up on our front step while our cats were sitting in the door. Our female cat tried to lunge for the neighbor's cat but of course hit the screen in the front door instead. So since she couldn't attack the neighbor's cat, she instead attacked our other male cat. And they fought like I've never seen them fight before. It was really like two stray cats fighting. We separated them and were finally able to put them back together until a couple weeks later I accidently stepped on the male cat's paw and he let out a scream and she attacked him again. Now, we can't even keep them together or else they fight like two strays - howling and everything. The vet says its displaced aggression but didn't give us much help in trying to get them to live together again.

Is there anything we can do to get them to be friends again? We've tried the vanilla trick so that they both smell the same and we've even tried waterless shampoo baths to make them smell the same but that didn't help. We bought leashes so that we could have "supervised visits" but they still howl when they see each other. The vet even gave us pills for the female to calm her down (pregnancy hormone) but that didn't seem to do anything. The good thing is that neither of them seem to come out of the fights with any scratches that I can see. Oh yeah, my wife is also pregnant. I'm not sure if that is having an affect on our cat's behavior. Has this happened to anyone else? I'll try anything at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 AM

check out this website http://www.animalbehaviorassociates....n_articles.htm

There is an article under 'cat to cat aggression' which descripbes exactly whats going on with your cats although it doesn't seem to offer any new advise its good to know that it is a problem is because of the incodent with the neighbours cat and not because your wife is pregnant

There is also a good atticle about introducing your cat to your new baby which might help in the future
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Cat Addict

We just had an article about this very situation in our newsletter:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... olume2no07

Animal Behavior Associates is in our area. Their advice in a similar situation was "block off all the windows and trap and remove the outside cat." (So you get to live in a house with no windows forever, because it's never just *one* outside cat!) While that is a valid temporary solution, we try to work more holistically to help the indoor cats themselves be less reactive and more secure--without drugs or a permanent blackout!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. At least now I know that my cat's haven't gone crazy. Well, I still think they've gone crazy but at least I know that this has happened to other cats. My neighbor has about 4 cats, so I can't exactly remove them. And I don't think I like the look of cardboard covering all the windows in my house. I guess we'll just do a slow re-introduction for a couple of months and hope that when we finally get them used to each other again, and then hope they don't see the outdoor cat again and make us do this all over again.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
Have you tried Feliaway? I don't know anything about its effectiveness, but it's supposed to calm cats down. There is a plug-in variety that lets out a constant "stream" of whatever-it-is into your home. It's worth a try!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I had not heard of feliaway until you just mentioned it. But, I just did a search on it and it sounds like there are many people who swear by it. It looks like Petco sells it on their site for an extremely exorbitant amount of money for such a small bottle, but I think I'll spend anything right about now. I think keeping our cats separated is making the female even more agitated because she likes to have free roam of the whole house at all times.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Cat Addict

Well if you get it, good luck and let us know how it turns out! I wanted to try it for our cats too, but it *is* expensive. :/ I hope it works!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I took out a second loan on my house to buy the feliaway. They had it at Petco. I will have to sell my car to get enough money to buy the refill bottle in 4 weeks when it runs out. It will be worth it if it works. I can't tell yet if it is going to work, but we'll see. I thought there would be a fan on it but all it seems to do is heat up. I guess thats all it needs to do to release the stuff.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Cat Addict

Any luck?

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Drink
I took out a second loan on my house to buy the feliaway. They had it at Petco. I will have to sell my car to get enough money to buy the refill bottle in 4 weeks when it runs out. It will be worth it if it works. I can't tell yet if it is going to work, but we'll see. I thought there would be a fan on it but all it seems to do is heat up. I guess thats all it needs to do to release the stuff.
Too funny! There are other sites that sell it for cheaper. Just have to search around. But, yeah I know, it is kind of expensive, especially at Petco's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page