Cat bite - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Cat bite

OK, so this morning I was cleaning cat cages. One cat, Mister, is having serious problems adjusting to being in a cage. It's very common with declawed kitties to have difficulty adjusting, because they feel more vulnerable. We had to get the cage clean, so I had to get him out of the cage. I wore long gloves that came about halfway up my forearm (because I was expecting him to be difficult)... and good thing I did! I would've gotten probably 5 or 10 bites otherwise. But anyway, he managed to bite me right past where the gloves came to on my arm. It just barely drew blood in one spot (the other three teeth just left red marks). I immediately poured hydrogen peroxide on it, but other than that I haven't done anything to it. Is there anything else I should do to avoid getting an infection? Is this bite even serious enough to worry about an infection?

p.s. we didn't end up getting the cage very clean, because after that we had to clean around him

[edit] added picture of my bite:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 PM

you really should make sure to keep it clean you could be at risk for cat scratch fever. look for swellings and such. it can be a very deadly bacteria infection. i got it as a child and ended up having to have a surgery on my neck to remove a massive tumor and lost one of my saliva glands as well. make sure to flush the wound especially since it didnt bleed much.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:41 PM

http://familydoctor.org/024.xml go here for more info, but here is the most important info...

Quote:
Should I call my doctor if I am bitten or scratched by a cat?
Call your family doctor if you notice any of the following problems:

A cat scratch or bite that does not heal in the usual length of time.
An area of redness around a cat scratch or bite that continues to get bigger for more than 2 days after the injury.
Fever that lasts for several days after a cat scratch or bite.
Painful and swollen lymph nodes for more than 2 or 3 weeks.
Bone or joint pain, abdominal pain (without fever, vomiting or diarrhea) or an unusual degree of tiredness for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Return to top

What are the signs of cat-scratch disease?
A sore may develop where a cat has bitten or scratched you. The sore might not happen right away. It may take 3 to 10 days for the sore to appear after the bite or scratch.
The sore may take a long time to heal. An infection of the lymph nodes (also called lymph glands) also develops, most often in the glands that are near the place where you got the cat scratch or cat bite. For example, if the infection is from a cat scratch on your arm, the glands in your armpit may become tender and swollen. The lymph nodes may swell to an inch or more in size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

OK, thank you. I think I'll put some neosporin or something on it to try to kill germs and help it heal.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I just started working in a vet's office and finally realized just why cat bites are so dangerous. I thought there was something in the saliva that could be kind of "poisonous" to humans or something. Turns out, the bites just puncture deeply and close up quickly, trapping the bacteria inside. So if its been a while, I don't know how much help topical medication will be. Keep an eye on it and call the doctor if you have ANY worries.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page