Calico/Tortie Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Calico/Tortie Question

Ok, I'm just wondering something. I have a tortie, my Brother has a tortie, and my Mom has a tortie. All three of these cats are very moody cats and mine and my Mom's especially, can be very ill-tempered. I wondered if this was a calico/tortie thing or maybe just that these cats are this way for no particular reason. I was just curious. Anyone else have have a moody/ill-tempered tortie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 01:03 AM

I grew up with a Tortie. Taz was extremely playful and didn't like to be held, but she was very friendly and affectionate. A Tortie stray wandered onto my parents' property and it's an absolute sweetheart. There was also a Tortie on my paper route and it was very affectionate and always wanted to get pet.

So as far as I know, moodyness isn't ingrained into torties.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

We were probably just blessed with these moody gals cause we are a moody family ourselves. LOL!

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:12 AM

I remember having read in one of Dr Jean's posts that white cats and torties are amongst the most unpredictable, jumpy ones. I have a white cat and although raised with dogs is very independent and doesn't like to be held but for a little while, doesn't like being interrupted from anything be it just being plain lazy all day for a little kiss But I give him kisses anyways - I can't help it hehe
There is a tortie female in the garden that seems very mellow and sweet compared to all the red feral cats. They seem very dominant to me. But i don't have experience but with one tortie and that one is feral - she just seems really sweet. Even when I had her trapped recovering after having been spayed she never hissed or growled at me when I was opening the little gate to offer some canned food and water. She is such a sweetheart!
The 3 red kitties I had in cages at the same time received the same loving treatment although they greated me with aggressive growls and hisses ..oh boy are they feisty or what! It is similar to what they say about red headed people being jumpy
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:32 AM
Cool Cat

Interesting about white cats and torties.... Never heard anything like that. My Marsh, who's an all-white cat, is anything but unpredictable and jumpy, instead he's calm, collected and intelligent... and yes, a TOTAL MUSH
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

My Li Li is also white and is very loving and agreeable to everyone, so I just don't know. LoL

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Cat Addict

Elly can be a bit unpredictable, but as she gets older she's actually less unpredictable. She used to be a terror at the vet. She was so good at our last vet visits though, as sick as she was she still rubbed against the vet before and after her injections, lol.

She's a good girl though, I wouldn't classify her as moody in the least bit. She's always sweet as pie and is very fond of visitors and strangers, as long as she isn't overhandled.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:49 PM

Most of the torties up at the shelter don't get along with other cats... most are very sweet, just don't like other kitties.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Premier Cat

Addison is completely unpredictable and nutty. I know she is still a kitten, but Franny was NOTHING like this when she was young. Addison is a calico, but has a diluted grey coloring in her patched areas, would she still be considered in this theory? Not sure!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I know "personally" only one Tortie, and that is my daughter's. She is not fond of strangers, but loves my daughter, and that's what's important! I usually have one black cat and one white cat. One of my white cats earned the nickname, "psycho cat" from my son. She loved to be petted, but would suddenly strike out and scratch very hard, enough to make her victim bleed. She was one of the "fabulous four," a group of four females I had at the same time. She hid from the bully for several years, but finally beat her up. What a group of characters they were. They were memorable!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page