bug catchers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

bug catchers

So I noticed that cats are super good at catching bugs and mosquitos and whatnot. Electra and Antigone both go nuts when they see a moth or mosquito in the house. Electra makes the most irrated meow ever cuz she can't reach it or whatever. Anyways... Antigone somehow always ends up catching them when they fly down low and then... she... eats... them... It's disgusting. She ate a large moth once (I watched her chomp it down in disgust), and just now.. she ate a large mosquito.

I know Electra likes to play with the bug but she won't eat it. Do your cats eat the bugs too or just play with them until they die?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:15 AM
Cat Addict

both, Hudson is the bughunter, and she eats 'em, spiders too. My other two just trash the place trying to catch them. It cracks me up when I come home from work and the table tops are cleared and lamps knocked over, I know there was a bug in da house.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:29 AM

my guys do this too... not sure if they eat them if they catch them when i'm not around, but when i am around, i usually take it away from them and toss out the dead carcass... their response is usually to look for it as if it flew off again.

i'm glad i have bug catchers though... don't have many come thru here, but they're good at letting me know when one's in the apartment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:37 AM

He just plays with them. He doesn't even play with them enough so they die!! I wish he would at least do that! Even better if he would eat the darn things!! My son gets creeped out by the house spiders so it's better if I or the cat finds them & kills them right away.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Cat

In the case of Dusty, it depends. Moths are good eatins'. However, beetles, catapillers, and spiders must not taste too good, he doesn't eat them.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Cool Cat

Assumpta is a very good bug catcher (though she is an even better mouser). Whether or not she eats them depends on her mood. If she is feeling playful, she'll play with the bug for a while, and seems truly insulted if the bug should expire before she's done having fun...but if she's annoyed or upset, it is instant bug dinner.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 AM

My boys are both excellent bug catchers. I've noticed that mosquitos and moths are favorites on their dining menu. Never is a speck left, Crickets, on the other hand, must not meet with their exquesite taste, but must be great fun to play with because I always find leftovers. At least they have the good sense to always finish the kill, so mom doesn't have to be grossed out by doing it herself.

sprat
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:50 AM

Both my boys love catching bugs. In the end, they always eat them. The best is when a fly gets in the house, because they will run all over the house like NUTS trying to catch it, and it's big enough that we can see where it went, unlike a mosquito.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 PM

Mine is a bug eater! He wont stop chasing a fly until it is dead and in his belly. It is funny when the cat runs all over the house frantically chasing down the fly and after he has slowed it down a bit the dog will catch it and eat it!!!! You can see, "hey, that was mine" ticked off expression clearly!!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

ok so i feel better that our kitten isnt the only one who eats bugs. so i'm guessing it's ok that they do? like they wont get sick from them? since bugs are pretty dirty and all...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page