Possible Stray? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Possible Stray?

So, I was driving home from work yesterday, and I was driving through the complex and I saw out of the corner of my eye this little calico kitten (probably no more than 3-4 months old by the looks of it). Now, I had groceries in the car (with ice cream!!!) mind you, but I pulled over and went to investigate.

THe kitty was very clean looking, and although she was running away from me a bit, she wasn't that hard to catch. Of course she didn't like me picking her up, and I have scratchmarks to prove it, but she seemed ok...

So I went to the nearby buildings and i started to ring some doorbells to see if anyone knew whose it was. Long story short: nobody seems to know, and one person said they think they remember seeing that kitten around a particular apartment that has a cat-tree sitting on their patio.

After asking the people who live below me that have a cat what they think, we decided to let her go. She was very clean for a stray cat, and she wasn't difficult to catch or pick up, which to them suggested she is someone's outdoor cat. But I don't know for sure, and I feel awful wondering if I just let a stray stay loose and contributed to the overpopulation problem.

I have a feeling Kiera would freak out if I had brought her home, so that wasn't necessarily the answer. I also don't know the shelters around here, and I wouldn't want to take her to a shelter that would possibly kill her, especially when I didn't know if she was someone's cat!

I don't know if I did the right thing... but I just wanted to tell someone... I feel awful about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Cool Cat

There are so many postings about cats that might be strays...it makes you realize how important it is to put a tag and collar on your pets. I mean, even a well-meaning animal lover could be responsible for taking a loved pet away from it's owners just because he/she didn't know it actually belonged to someone! You know?!

I guess the best thing for you to do is check back later today or tomorrow to see if the kitten is still in the same area. Are there other strays that hang around? If there are, she might be part of their pride. If not, I'd suggest looking up some shelters in your area to house her. OR!! Find her a foster home, then post a photo of her on the forum here, and wait for someone to adopt the precious calico. There are so many things that could be done.

Remember, also, that kittens SHOULDN'T be allowed alone outside until they are AT LEAST 6 months, anyway. So if she does belong to someone, they aren't taking proper care of her anyway (so little outside AND without a collar) and don't deserve her. (Sounds harsh, sorry.) Go find that baby girl and help her out as best as you can. Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with everything that was posted above!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips.. I have been keeping an eye open, but i haven't seen anything since. I do remember a while ago when a friend was driving me home from dinner, and she slammed on her breaks becaus she saw a kitten out of the corner of her eye: this one was black, and a lot more scared and we couldn't get her. It must have been approx. the same age, so maybe there is a family...

I'm still keeping my eyes open. It's just too bad that that lady's son has allergies. She looked so heartbroken to not be able to take the kitten.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Cool Cat

It's good of you to keep an eye out for the little ones. If you live in a close-knit enough community, I'd second roger Davis's idea for encouraging the neighbours to do a sweep of the area to see if you do have families of cats hiding out in or around your homes. At least you'll know where they came from and that they DON'T actually belong there. Good luck with finding that little cailco again. If you don't find her, she probably found someplace safe to hang out. So, don't worry too much. Cats are very self-sufficient!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 AM

I had this problem recently with a dog..... the most pampered little shih tzu..... obviously not a stray...... I had to keep him in my house overnight and he asked for food and wanted to sleep in my bed....... even if he was a stray I would have tried to get him to the aspca but since he wasn't I kept him home overnight hoping someone would look for him..... I called the police and finally they said they had found the owner..... well the dog had not gotten away...... they had let him out in the front yard to pee and went inside..... apparently..... shock of shocks..... for the first time he wandered off...... well there's always a first time.... that's why people shouldn't let their animals roam loose...... dogs or cats....... if you insist on letting your cat roam loose she should have a collar...... this dog of course didn't...... anyway...... I'd pick up any friendly cat I saw roaming loose..... not of course a feral one...... I'd look for a collar and if there wasn't one I'd report it to the police someone will come looking foor it...... if not give it to the aspca or etc. .......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page