Stupid humane society... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Stupid humane society...

I was talking to my friend Joy. At any giving day they have about 3 or 4 strays around their house looking for food. There was this sweet orange striped kitty, who soon got chased away by a black and white long hair with a HUGE head. They call him Mr. Bonkers. He's a nice guy too, and I love his head, hehe.

Anyway - apparently within the last few days a cat has wandered upon their house. It has a flea collar on, leading them to think it must be someone's pet. But its thin. REALLY thin. She's calling him Bean (as in, string bean) until she can find out what to do with him. Her sister works at the vet's office I just started at. She's a technician. She also works at the 24 hour emercency clinic. She seems to think the cat probably has a URI.

Well Joy brings the cat up to the emergency clinic and they say they don't have room, and would probably put the cat to sleep. So she brings it up to the Humane Society. They said since it POSSIBLY has a URI they'd put it to sleep to. After that, they told her that all she has to do is give it some children's cough medicine and it'll be fine. UGH! Now assuming their right about that... don't you think they could do that themselves rather than putting it down? Humane my butt! I'm becoming more and more disappointed with them lately.

Any ideas what she should do? Keeping in mind that it could still possibly be someone's pet?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM

Hmmm... I don't know what you can do. The problem is that URI is *extremely* contagious and taking in this one cat could cause it to spread to many of the shelter's cats. I know at the shelter I work at, they used to just euthanize cats that have URI. I guess it isn't as much of a problem now that they are vaccinated intranasally.

Of course, isn't it illegal for them to put down the stray before it's hold time is up? (It's three days where I live) Does your friend have cats right now? Could she bring this cat inside and let it get over it's cold?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
She may end up doing just that. They're still getting over putting down their family cat. She was about 16 or so. But they're still not completely sure if its someone's pet because of the flea collar and all. Hm. Poor thing.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 09:47 PM

Hmmm, they don't sound very "humane" to me!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think the cold medicine they are talking about is Robitussin, which is like Humibid, a medication that loosens phlegm, and enables the patient to get rid of it. However, I would definitely check with the vet about dosage, and the brand he or she would recommend. It's so sad that the shelters are overcrowded and understaffed, but the money is short, I guess. If your friend can see this kitty through this URI, perhaps she'll have the joy of seeing this cat go home--or help find a new home.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:08 AM

HS looks for reasons

The Humane Society in the city where I live actually look for reasons to put the animals to sleep because the shelter is so small they don't have enough room. It's a sad, sad place. We call it the city disposal instead of the animal shelter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Has your friend put an ad in the paper under lost and found pets? She should ask for a good description of the cat, of course. Someone's heart is breaking, I'm afraid.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 02:42 PM

It is sad, but an awful reality. I used to work at my local shelter, and we had to put cats and kittens to sleep due to URI more than anything. It is very highly contagious, and there are not near enough foster homes to take the ones that got sick. Also the Calici virus was a killer. I don't know how many we had to euthanize due to an outbreak of Calici. We couldn't knowingly adopt out a sick animal, either. Humane shelters are often stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to things like that. And since we were a county shelter, we could not hold animals in isolation until they got better, because we were constantly getting animals in. Unlike a "no-kill' shelter, we could not turn animals away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page