Keeping cats indoors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Keeping cats indoors

Hiya,

Just a bit of a nosey question, really!!!

Have been reading a lot of the postings on the forum and it has struck me how many of you keep your cats indoors.

All the cats I have ever owned have always had a catflap so have been able to come and go as they please. I have never considered keeping my cats indoors only and I'm curious as to why a lot of members prefer to keep their cats inside.

Is it due to worry about them getting run over or are there other reasons?

Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

The answer is simple to me. The outdoor world isn't safe and therefor my cats aren't allowed to run around as they wish outside. I alwas keep them in a leash outside.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Cat

I live in an apartment with a main secutirty door so if Cleveland went out he's have to stay out until I got home. I'm also terrified he's get knocked down. He's been indoor since the day he was born and seems perfectly happy

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:45 PM

I too bring my babies out on a leash - our neighbour has a dog that would break down the fence to get at the cats so they haven't gone out too much and now we have moved to an apartment - they don't have a choice - we still go for walks though.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 02:50 PM

My cats don't live outside either, although when I got each one, they had been outdoors (stray or feral). It's just not safe for animals to roam free. I think of my pets as children. I'd never let my children roam around without me, so I won't let my pets. Besides, I love having my babies in the house with me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Cool Cat

I keep Assumpta indoors mainly because we have a very high predator population (bears, coyotes, fisher cats, you name it...outdoor cats are very endangered here), plus the new idiot neighbors tend to do 40 MPH down our one-lane dirt road...I didn't worry so much about traffic until I saw how fast and unsafly these people drive.

Other than that, I don't want Assumpta (who is very territorial) getting in catfights or contracting infectious disease (FIV, FeLV) from other cats (there are a lot of wandering barn cats and strays around who get little to no vet care). She is far safer indoors, and despite a long stretch as an abandoned kitty, has almost zero interest in going outside (unless I'm outside on the deck, when she'll stand at the glass door and cry until I come back in).
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Cat Addict

I learned the hard way to keep my cat indoors. My first cat was shot and killed by my neighbors. Never again.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:26 PM

I do allow some of my cats outside in our fenced yard if I'm there to watch them! They like to play in the garden and I've never had a problem-but if they wheren't staying in my yard that would be the end of thier outdoor time! For the reasons already mentioned, plus I don't like cleaning up after other peoples pets when they go in my yard, so why should my neighbors have to pick up after mine? Growing up the cats where always outside, and we had one cat someone kicked in the head so hard it ruptured the eye, and we ended up with a huge emergancy vet bill to have the eye removed, and that poor cat was never the same after that, never again would I risk that happening to my cats. When I have a place of my own, I intend to fence in the back yard, and "cat proof" my back yard with a cat fence at the top and cement the bottom of the fence in to keep the cats in my yard yet still allow them to go outside and enjoy the nice weather.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:26 PM

I keep Kirby indoors because in the past I had two female cats which had a catflap and could go wherever they wanted, and this resulted in both getting pregnant, of the neighboor actaully stealing one of them at one point, and because my family and myslef hardly ever got to see them at all.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I definately hadn't given thought to the predator problem encountered by some of you nor that neighbours could be so wicked as to shoot a pet

Thanks again

Kate x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page