Update on shaving cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Update on shaving cats

I wrote a long time ago about taking my cats to the groomer to be shaved. I never did upload my pix of them kitties, which I promised I'd do. I'll try to get to that. But I just wanted to say that although it was a stressful day for us all (the grooming takes place in a room where there are barking dogs, so Fiddlehead was quite afraid), it was the BEST THING I've ever done! My house was SO much cleaner all summer. And right away, I bought my own cordless clipper (cordless is important) and I ran around the house with it to get the cats used to the sound. They're not at all afraid of the clipper, but are annoyed when I use it. And I can really shave Yeti well, but Fiddlehead is still a challenge. I would like to keep it up always, but will likely let it grow back over the winter. They're just SO cute with short hair!!!!

Kerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 11:37 PM

I have shaved babies too

I have 4 long haired cats who get shaved down every summer and they love it afterward. All of them are brought to the vet. She gives them a mild tranquilizer and then shaves them. I provide the special shaver blade. She charges me less than the groomer and I'm assured they are being handled with TLC with the least amount of stress possible.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:11 AM

I get my longhaired Munchkin shaved about twice a year. Her hair mats too easily because she can't properly groom herself because of her short legs. Since I work at a vet clinic with a groomer, I just take her to work with me. She does get sedated because while she's pretty good for everything, she doesn't appreciate her legs and feet being done. She looks better and I think feels better once it is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 01:03 AM
Premier Cat

Hey guys, right off the bat I just want to say I have never owned a long haired cat, so I might just be ignorant to what the problems of having a cat with long hair are. But, I just don't get it. Why do you need to shave your cats? And, don't you think they feel naked without their fur?

I'm being sincere, I'm not trying to criticize!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Cool Cat

I have a silky-haired, which is sort of a longhaired but without the matting problem. IMO, it'd find it difficult to 'love' my baby if his gorgeous fur was gone, plus, if the cat was made by nature with long fur, why would he like to be shaved down, i'd think it would itch and feel funny as he grooms himself??? ... mine is also a munchkin, and he never had any problems grooming, though my breeder said he WILL have problems if he gets too fat.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 02:46 PM

Kitty is by far not too fat, but her problem may be that she came from a catary situation. (A puppy-mill for cats) so she was stuck in a small cage and forced to breed. Then when she was "rescued" she was thrown outside. She just doesn't do as good of job grooming herself as a normal cat would. Her short legs to hinder her as well. I'm sure it depends on the individual cat. I brush her, but it's not the same as her grooming herself.
She has never acted like she's felt naked or anything, she doesn't seem to mind it.
Also poodles and other dogs that are groomed on a regular basis are natrally long haired. Why do people have them groomed?
Kitty seems to feel better when she is cut shorter. I wish her hair was more the length of Marsh's. His is just long enough to be beautiful, but not long enough to give him trouble with grooming.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Premier Cat

I hope you didn't feel like I was attacking you, I sure didn't mean for it to seem that way. I was just wondering why it gets done. I've never known anyone who had to do that.

I also always thought that poodles were shaved because they were trying to uphold sometype of standard and have them look all prim and proper. I didnt' think there was any sanitary reason behind it. Is that wrong?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 04:04 PM

One of my cats has extremely long hair - lol in fact I just took a tape measure over to him - many of his hairs are 7 inches long!!!!

This summer, I did trim his hair, but only on his underside (his belly), just from his arm pits down to the insides of his back legs & under his tail (I think this is sometimes referred to as a "sanitary clip").
With the hair on his underside trimmed short, he was clearly more comfortable laying in sunny spots by the screens, rather than finding a cool dark place to lay. I think I'll continue to do this "Belly trim" on him every summer.
He is very agreeable about having it done - I just rub his belly so he lays on his back, and I use safety scissors to trim the hair down to about 1/2 inch while he purrs away.
I would not trim his underside if it meant taking him to a groomer & having him sedated.
He doesn't mind being trimmed, and with hair as long as his, it must be easier to step out of the litter box with a little less long hair around his bum.
It's funny though - even though his underside is trimmed short, you can't even tell he has any hair trimmed unless he flops over on his back for a belly rub.
I guess I'm lucky in the texture of his fur - even though his coat is very long, it must be silky, cuz he doesn't tangle at all. On occasion he'll get little tiny tangles near his neck under his "cheeks" but they work out really easily & quickly with my fingers.

I think for the select long haired cats who have very long hair that are unable to groom themselves properly, the matting and pulling would be excruciatingly painful on the skin, so trimming/shaving is a kind option for them.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
I hope you didn't feel like I was attacking you, I sure didn't mean for it to seem that way. I was just wondering why it gets done. I've never known anyone who had to do that.

I also always thought that poodles were shaved because they were trying to uphold sometype of standard and have them look all prim and proper. I didnt' think there was any sanitary reason behind it. Is that wrong?
I wasn't offended at all! I was trying to word my response in a way that was inoffensive, because I don't want to offend, either.
Well, you're right about poodles. Working at a vet clinic that offers grooming, I'm just used to people bringing in these dogs that are nothing but a mat; then it is a sanitary issue. You're correct, there is a reason for clipping poodles. Poodles are water retrievers and were traditionally clipped to keep certain joints and internal organs protected from the cold waters.

When I have Kitty clipped, I usually start out just having her belly, butt, and feet done, but we did a lion cut on her the first time, and it looked so cute. So while there is a reason (sanitation) I do have her clipped, it is also my prefrence to have her put in such a cut.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Premier Cat

I must admit that lion cut picture is awfully cute!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page