Vacation-What is best for my kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Vacation-What is best for my kitty

Hello,
I am in a dilemma- I am going on a long trip( part to be with my Dad during his surgery and part a vacation) for 25days.
I have a 6yr old kitty Peaches who is a real 'people cat'- she hates being left alone and loves to meet and greet new people. If someone comes to the door, she will come right up to check out the new person..
The dilemma is what is best for her when I am gone. I have two options
(a)My neighbor has offered to come in every evening to feed her and play with her for a couple of hours.
(b) A friend of mine who has no cats, but loves cats has offered to keep her at her home.
I know cats love their home and so I was inclined to keep her at home with my neighbor coming in everyday, but on the other hand I know that she will hate being alone. If I am late from work a couple of hours.. she is all over me when I am back... besides she know this friend of mine well too..
Please advice ... what do you all think. As I mentioned she is a real friendly cat who gets along very well with all "humans"

Thnaks,
Summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Cool Cat

It depends on the kitty. How does Peaches do on trips to the vet? If she does well going places, it might be worth having her stay with your friend. Maybe you could take her over there a few times, perhaps leave her there overnight once or twice to see how she does before you leave...and if she doesn't do well, you could have your other friend come in and feed her at your home instead.

I'd make sure to leave your vet contact info with whoever cares for your cat, and also talking to your vet before you leave to set up arrangements for what will happen if Peaches should get sick (who will be bringing her in, how the payments will be handled, things like that). Those little things can save you a lot of time and pain if something does go wrong.

I was a complete basket case when I had to leave Assumpta at home while we went on vacation for 10 days (see "I hate leaving home" thread below to see just how much of a goon I am about this stuff)...and when we got back, Assumpta just sat there and looked at us like "Who are you people and why are you in my house?" It took her about a week to really remember that we were the ones with the can opener. But boarding her outside of home just wasn't an option...she takes a day or two to recover from a simple visit to the vet's, and the one time she had to stay overnight, she was such a little terror that they called me at 7:30 in the morning to ask me to come in and get her before they opened so that her trip home would be as quiet (and as soon!) as possible.

So like I said, it depends on your cat's personality. If you can give her a trial run at your friend's house, do so and see how they do together, and above all, don't forget to make arrangements for vet care before you leave.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on doing a trail run/stay at my friends home - did not think of that!!

Peaches is a tough little kitty. I adopted her from a shelter after she was abandoned. She has learnt to survive and that perhaps explains her "no-fear" of stangers.

She does NOT like car trips, but once she is on level ground she is fine - so trips to the vet are quite OK except for the actual car ride.

As I mentioned before she loves having people around, when my friends come over she comes into the living room and sits down right in the middle of the room - the center of everyone's attention. She hates being left alone.
Also the one time I had to go on a business trip that had me stay away from home overnight; she was extremely glad to see me the next day!!
So I am guessing that people and their company are more important for her that being in the house alone and that is whay I thought that keeping her at my friend's home was a good idea.

I will definately do as you suggest and take her over to my friend's home before I actaully leave. Will report back too on how that goes.

Meanwhile if you can think of any more tips/suggestions, please let me know!
I am a big 'worrier' (got that from my Mom ) and though I am leaving only on Sept 15th I have been constantly thinking and feeling sad about leaving Peaches. She is such a little trooper and I hate for her to go through any more stress!!

Thanks much!
Summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Cool Cat

Oh, yeah...save your laundry! I leave some of my unlaundered shirts on the back of the couch for Assumpta when we're gone for the weekend, and the catsitter reports that when he comes in, that's always where she's sleeping.

She may be happier if she has her own bed, toys, bowls, and litterbox with her, if there's a special blanket or pillow that she loves, send that with her.

If your cat's prone to any health issues, you might have a quick vet check before you leave, and you can use that time to make arrangements with the vet for emergency care whie you're gone.

And this probably goes without saying, but make sure that your friend keeps Peaches indoors to prevent her getting lost in a strange neighborhood. Also, make sure she understands any special care or medicnes that the cat needs, how she likes to be patted and played with, stuff like that.

Cats usually don't adjust to new situations very quickly, so see how it goes and take your cues from Peaches. And I am also a huge worrier...but I've learned that just means my mantra should be: "The actuality is never as bad as the anticipation."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 04:54 PM

I recommend taking her to your friends. Mine also is not the kind to be left alone and would even prefer a strange house to being left alone and visited. Great idea to have something with your scent on it. It will be fine! Your cat will have a great time and greet you with lots of love when you return!

At least you have someone you know to watch your kitty!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Cat Addict

Since you'll be gone so long, I agree that Peaches will probably do well at your friend's house. Just one visit a day for almost a month would be too hard on a social kitty.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page