What is best for a stray cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

What is best for a stray cat?

Hello,

There is a stray cat hanging around our house and of course, I am feeding the poor thing. He doesn't seem to be mature yet.

I am not positive that he is a stray, but seems to be dirty and unkempt and alway very hungry. He meows and whimpers at the same time and is quite pitiful. His ears are black inside which I assume is ear mites.

The situation is is I don't want to bring him into the house nor do I want to touch him because I fear passing on something to our cat. The poor thing is just begging for love and I walk away from him.

If I were to touch him how do I protect my own cat? Besides washing well after and not allowing them to use the same bowls.

I would like to capture him and take him to the vet for shots and ear stuff. Is it fair of me to fix him up and then send him back out doors?
I don't have a clue where there is a No kill shelter. Pet Smart always has cats they are turned in as strays so who do I contact?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:08 AM

I don't know where you are, but try this website to find a no kill shelter.

http://www.sheltersearch.net/shelters/index2.html

I wouldn't take the cat to a vet and fork out money if you don't plan to keep it. But, are you willing it to keep or foster it through a local agency? Then I would probably take it to a vet, but not introduce it into my home before doing so. Let us know how it turn out. I bet alot of us are suckers for rescue stories ...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

*Update*

Took the cat to the Humane society today. I'm hoping he will get a nice new home soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh
At least he has a chance for a good home now, eh? *wishes the kitty the best of luck*

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
We have a list of no-kill shelters posted as a sticky. If you find one that is not on the list, please add it.

I tooka stray to the vet, had it neutered and its wounds tended, and kept it in isolation, because it had feline leukemia, and I had four cats of my own. It cost hundreds of dollars for the vet bill, much more than I thought it would, but I'm glad I did it. The young neighbors leash trained it and no cat has ever been babied like Bandit! (He was stealing our cat food in the middle of the night.) He was one of the most loving, sweet cats I've ever known, and worth every penny of the expense. He didn't have a long life, but a very happy one.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Jeanie
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:58
I tooka stray to the vet, had it neutered and its wounds tended, and kept it in isolation, because it had feline leukemia, and I had four cats of my own. It cost hundreds of dollars for the vet bill, much more than I thought it would, but I'm glad I did it. The young neighbors leash trained it and no cat has ever been babied like Bandit! (He was stealing our cat food in the middle of the night.) He was one of the most loving, sweet cats I've ever known, and worth every penny of the expense. He didn't have a long life, but a very happy one.
What a heart warming story. You are a wonderful person!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
We have a list of no-kill shelters posted as a sticky. If you find one that is not on the list, please add it.

What a kind person you are! There should be alot more people like you!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Thank you for the kind remarks, but there are people on this forum who trap, neuter, and get strays medicated on a regular basis! They have ferals and stray colonies near their property. Ideally, there would be a program in every town which would provide the service for a small fee, but sometimes you have to be a one man committee! Often, these people have small incomes, and have to watch their own budget carefully to be able to pay for what they do. Some vets (like the one I took Bandit to) won't even give a discount for strays or injured wildlife. (I raised a baby robin too)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 07:48 PM

Jeannie,
What you did for Bandit is what we try to dodo too and not always the kitties stories have such a happy ending
You have a heart of gold, yes you do
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:07 PM

I meant try TO DO (1 do LOL)!

Today one of my ferals I took to the vet tested positive for FeLV..wich means that his ladies and progeny are too (maybe? hope against hope.. )as well as others cats nearby. But he's having surgery and coming back to be a man's indoor cat, because this person is friends with the cat, took it to the clinic in a carrier! (and I tried to trap him the other day w/o success)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page