Kitten owner for less than 2 weeks and I need some advice. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Kitten owner for less than 2 weeks and I need some advice.

I just adopted a 4 month old kitten. I am a first time pet owner and need to defer to experience. "Tag" (my kitten) has had diarrhea for about five days now. He seems healthy other than this problem. No sneezing or discharge from the eyes. He purrs quite often and acts fairly normal.

I feed him wet food once daily and have science diet kitten food out at all times. I have kept the lid on my toilet closed for days as he loved it as a water fountain. Nothing seems to help. Anyone have a clue as to what could be the problem or (better yet) the solution.

- j
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Premier Cat

First, congrats on your new kitten - and you've come the right place for great information.

Have you changed his diet from what he was eating before you adopted him? Have you had him checked for internal parasites (worms) - these two things often cause diarrhea.

When you get settled in and you starting wondering through the threads you may want to check out some of the recommended foods in the nutrition section. Scient Diet is fairly pricey, but unfortunately is more of a marketing gimic and is NOT a good food. I bet we could help you find something a lot healthier around the same price range.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:40 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, and it sounds like your cat would be a great candidate for the pet fountain. They cost about 30 bucks and are well worth the money. They sell them at petco and petsmart. The cats seem to drink a lot more with the fountain, I think they prefer it over the still water that just sits in their bowls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Cool Cat

qwertvt, my first question would be about whether or not your kitten has been tested for worms or has been dewormed yet. My second concern is about the soft food you're feeding him. I was under the impression from our vet (Skeeter's only about 5 months old) that kittens should just be on kitten chow (crunchy) until they are about 9 months old. Then you can introduce cat food (soft and crunchy). So, perhaps that has something to do with it?
I'd like to also second AddFran's recommendation for the PetMate waterer for pets. We just got Skeeter's last week and he LOVES IT! Plus, with your little guy having diarrhea, he may get dehydrated. Perhaps dehydration is causing the diarrhea?? Hmm...
Any time your pet has health issues that you can't explain, you should have him checked out by your vet. And since you've only had him for 2 weeks, have you taken him for his initial exam yet? If not, now would be the time. Good luck to you and Tag. Let us know how things turn out!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

Lolakitty, I have never heard a claim like that about crunchy food. If anything I've actually heard the opposite. There is nothing wrong with giving a kitten wet food. Wet food is actually a lot better for all cats. We have a few threads going on about this right now in the nutrition section (it's a lot of reading though so be prepared! ). Also, not sure if you just meant "kitten chow" as in crunchy food or if you meant actual Kitten Chow by Purina, but if your vet is actually recommending Kitten Chow, I'd be concerned about that as it is not a good food at all.

My 17 week old kitten has been eating a canned food diet and has had no problem with diarrhea. I highly doubt if that ratio of wet to canned food *provided nothing in the diet has changed* has anything to do with this. However, if you have recently SWITCHED foods and did so suddenly you are almost guaranteed a good bout with diarrhea. Definitely have your kitten's stool checked for worms if you haven't done so.

Maybe on of the mods will see this and maybe move it to the health and nutrition section - you'll probably get more of a response over there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
Wet food is actually a lot better for all cats.

We have a few threads going on about this right now in the nutrition section (it's a lot of reading though so be prepared! ).
I've read that wet food is best for most cats, but as far as kittens, I've been told to keep Skeeter on cruncy kitten chow (sorry for the "chow"-- military habit) until he's at least 7 months. I figured it had to do with gum/teeth health and overall internal health. And OF COURSE, the vet's office gave us the free back o' Science Diet (which still has yet to be opened.) But now that you've responded to my last post, I'm going to have to have some words with the vet about the benefits of wet food. Thanks!

And you know, I keep reading all of the posts on kitten/cat diets that are up in the Nutrition section. But, all of the food brands you all mention are completely foreign to me. I've never heard of any of them! Do you all shop for your cat foods online or go to specialty stores? We live in a small town, so we only have one SMALL pet store (mostly devoted to dogs) and Walmart. So... I'm at a loss as to what you all are talking about with all of those other food brands.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

Funny about the "chow" comment and the military!

A lot of people do shop online for food, I don't very often, but I am in a big city where these foods are more readily available to me. If you want to try shopping online, there is a 20% off coupon code in this thread https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9129 - the 20% off will at least offset the shipping costs.

If you go to the websites of some of the food companies and type in your city and state they will tell you what stores are closest to you. Do you happen to have any "feed" stores near you? Sometimes they carry alot of these brands as well.

Check out a few of these sites though.

www.canidae.com (Makers of Felidae)

www.naturapet.com (Makers of California Natural & Innova)

www.oldmotherhubbard.com (Makers of Wellness)

You may have luck with a few of these.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Cat Addict

Kittens need canned food even more than adults! I have seen many problems with kittens being fed only dry. They don't develop as well. They have dry skin, dry fur, bowel problems, etc. If they are fed only one food as kittens, they can easily develop a food addiction and be far more difficult to switch as adults. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... chingfoods

www.petfooddirect.com carries a good selection of the better foods and will ship directly to your door.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page