New Kittie ... Advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

New Kittie ... Advice?

I have wanted to get a second cat for awhile, and I've been reading up. There's kind of a concensus that having two cats may be better than having one, for grooming/company reasons for the cats. However, in my experience, Jinx does not like other cats, I know this is normal at first. But I don't want to deprive him of all the love and attention he needs and wants.

Is getting another cat a good idea? Or should I let him keep run of the house?

I know that if I do get a new cat, I won't be actively searching out a cute kitten. I'm going to keep my eye out for cats/kittens in the area that need rescuing/permanent homes. I want to help a cat in need. But I'd like opinions from you all ... should I try to rescue and introduce a new cat, or let Jinx be the only feline in the family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Cat Addict

If you want another cat, by all means get one. Jinx will get over it. Eventually.

Do read up on cat introductions before you adopt, though:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... yournewcat
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

I had a similar cat, Marcus, who didn't just dislike other cats. He *loathed* them. Once I brought a very sick kitten from the clinic to keep overnight. I knew she wouldn't make (because the owner waited a week to bring her in, until she couldn't even sit up) it but I tried anyway, and ended up giving her CPR on my kitchen table at 4 AM. Marcus stood over this poor, lifeless kitten the whole time, hissing and growling and screeching his lungs out. What a pill!

Eventually I adopted a kitten; Marcus literally tried to kill her the first time he saw her; fortunately my reflexes are very fast! It took weeks of slow introduction but eventually he fell in love with her. Then (yep you guessed it) I brought 2 more kittens home (wasn't planning to keep them, but....). Again a gradual introduction, at least to the point that he wouldn't kill on sight. Still, he followed them around for a good four months, growling and hissing and carrying on. Every single day I told him, "Marcus, get over it, they're staying." And you know, eventually they all became good buddies.

So, even with an evil-tempered bully like Marcus (well he was always sweet to me!), happy endings are possible!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I've read about the introductions. I think I'm just being overly concerned about my cat's feelings. Once I went to visit a friend with cats for a month and had to take him with me as no one here was able to look after him that long. It did not go well. He gets mad when he's in the window and other people's cats come around. I just don't want to deprive him of all the attention he needs or make him feel second best. Am I being rediculous, or can cats actually be sad over that sort of thing? Is having a second cat healthier for kitties, or does it not matter much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 12:24 AM

I think at first it will be hard on your cat but I think in the long run, he will be much happier. When I was married, my wife and I had one cat for about 4 years before we got another one. When Sylvester came in to our lives, our other cat J.C. was very upset. I mean the hissing, growling etc. But you know what? After a couple of weeks, they were inseperable. They were best friends! Unfortunately, my wife and I separated and she took JC and I kept Sylvester. We almost feel more guilty about splitting up the cats! I say give it a chance.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 12:43 AM

I agree, I'd go for another! You cat will adjust in time. If you do decide to get another, it's great you'll be helping one out that needs you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 05:59 AM

ive found out that, if you put talcum powder on their bum and back, they will smell the same and they will get along with one another. thats what we done with the kittens.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I've also heard from other people here that vanilla extract on the back of their necks will work, too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:17 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I was stressing about the same thing. Sage was used to being an only cat. She was our first "no cage" pet and was over a year when we decided to bring Ska home. But I was afraid she would feel like we loved her less. I was afraid I'd love her more than the new kitten. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to divide my attention equally between the 2 and Sage would get jealous. We brought Ska home and she HATED him. She would try to bite him and she was so mad she'd bite us, she drew blood on Dave once. We almost gave Ska back, we thought there was no way it would work.

Now, they are fine. Ska annoys Sage since he's still a kitten and pounces on her when she doesn't want him to. But they do play, they chase each other around the house and I'm happy we got another cat to keep her company.
It can work, but you just have to not give up. We were ready to give up within a week, but then slowly, they would sit on the same chair together, no hissing. And slowly Sage would walk by him, not pouncing.

Good luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:05 PM

When I brought home two 4week old kittens which were each half the size of my palm, my 12lb 1yr old cat was hissing and growling and kept trying to swat at them through the vents I cut in the cardboard box. I later used a big piece of lexan glass and blocked the bathroom doorway where I kept the kittens in. My cat used to hiss, growl and swat at the glass, but after a while, she calmed down. Everyday, she would just sit infront of the glass observing the kittens play and wrestle. Soon, after a month my cat thinks she's their mother and nurtures them!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:57 PM

We could all probably learn a thing or two from animals. I'm glad they are getting along now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page