unwanted visitor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

unwanted visitor

A few nights this week I have noticed my cat foods dish to be empty in the morning. I found that odd. Turns out last night I heard a cat eating and it wasnt mine because she was in bed with me. It was strange because my cat didnt even do anything. I jumped out of in bed in time to hear the cat door slam closed and the culprit was gone. What can i do to avoid unwanted animals. I know I can get a magnet door and collar for my cat but it worries me to put a collar on my cat, she is so active climbing trees and such I am afraid she may catch it on something. I was wondering if there was anyone else with this problem that tried something that worked to eliminate this ... I like cats but it makes me angry. Now i am wondering if it was my cat or this cat that made a mess of my place the other day! and here i thought it was my cat who i thought had an upset stomach. Help!!

cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 10:35 AM

Most people here don't let their pets outside unattended. If you're having uninvited guests, it might be time to switch to just letting the cats outside when you go out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I have three cats at home that go outside unattended all the time. We have the same problem with our neighbors cat that comes in my house through the cat door. He is kinda mean so when he comes in we just kinda leave him alone or kinda coax him out if we can. The other cats don't mind him too much and we think it's sort of funny to have a cat just wonder in like that. If it is a problem with your stray eating your cats food then maybe keep the doors shut at night so their is no access to the cat door. During the day does it still come inside and eat while you are right there?

Also, there are some good collers that realease as soon as a cat gets caught on something. They could use quick release stuff like velcro although I see where you are coming from. My cats climb trees too so we don't have collers on them either. Good luck with your visitor!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Cat Addict

We recently had an article in our newsletter about an outside cat coming in, and the problems it caused. (There's a follow-up in the next issue, No. 6):
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... volume2no5
You might also want to take an honest look at this one:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... oroutdoors

If other cats come in and eat from your cats' bowls, they can transmit feline leukemia and other diseases. So you definitely need to take action one way or another to keep them out.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 02:56 PM

what i would do 1st is set up a video cammer to see who is comeing in.
(like a police stake out)

if its a cat from the block then maybe a chat with the ouner of him or her will work
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

will try

thanks for the tips.. i am going to try a few things.. it would be nice to catch him redhanded but i am pretty sure which cat it is.. i live in a rural area and i have seen the neighbors cat standing on my porch before. i just cant believe that he would be gutsy enough to enter. my cat has had a few scratches on her face from him i'm sure. he's a big cat where as mine is quite petite. i want to scare the bejesus out of him once i find him in the house maybe that will deter him from coming back. oh well.. i don't think he has been in for a couple days. i put megan;s food away while i am at work so he has nothing to eat if he does show up.

cynthia
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Tom Cat

Dr. Jean, I just wanted to say you have a great website. I think i might show those pages to everyone i know who lets their cats out. But the whole website is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page