Cats at College - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Cool Cat

The problem I see with that was mentioned in the article, that being many abandoned pets at the end of the school year. Too many people, and probably especially younger ones, look at a pet as a temporary option and easy to get rid of if they don't want it anymore. For some reason there is this false notion that cats are self sufficient and can do fine on their own.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean, Richo. But I think if it's done properly---the animals come from the local shelters and are always neutered--then the problem could never get as bad as it was before the program, even if every single pet was abandoned after college (which seems very unlikely). Also, if there's an admin or someone who checks with each pet-owning resident before graduation to ensure they have plans for the animal, that might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Premier Cat

My sister said when she was in school in Pullman Washington that at the end of each school year before the students went home for summer they would drive out to the country and dump their cats and dogs. ( she was living in the country and going to grad school) It was a huge problem

I see that as a potential problem unless they make it a privledge with signed contracts as to the commitment to the animals??
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure dumping/abandoning would be such a problem - not if done right. The way I see it, the people had these pets before coming to the school, so there's already that human/animal bond. Its not as though they get them as an item on their school supply list. Now having time for the pets while school is on - that I can see as a problem, and what cat would be happy to sit in a crate/cage for 8 hours/day while mommy is taking classes? Personally, though, the idea has merit - I know if I was to go back to a dorm today, Otis and Jazz are part of my package deal....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:25 PM

One of THE main reasons I refused to go to one of the bigger universities and stay at a dorm was because I'd have to leave my pets behind. I ended up going to a smaller college close to my parents' house that I can drive to every day. The thought of people abandoning their pets when they graduate is so apalling...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:38 PM

That's why I was planning on living off campus - I couldn't bare the thought of leaving my little Halifax! The $200 dollar deposit was well worth being able to keep my little man with me - so I wouldn't be leaving him at home.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 06:25 PM

I also choose to live at home and commute every day because of my cat. Even if they offered such a program at my University I would not feel good putting my cat in a crate while I was at class. I mean are you supposed to out a litter box in there too? I know some dogs are crate trained so that may work better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Big issue! I live near ASU and there is a huge problem with ferel and abandoned cats and kittens. It makes me sick! I think having animals in college is a very bad idea. Sure it's nice having a companion along but what about the responsibility? Kids in college should be concentrating on school work and having some social fun in their spare time.

A group of ASU employees started a no-kill, TNR shelter a few years ago. You can visit their website at http://www.mildcatsatasu.org

We got our newest kitten at the ASU shelter. They are wonderful there. A very small fee of $40.00 for adoption includes all their shots and the spay or neuter. They pick up and drop off too so you don't have to do anything except love and care for them. They use a reputable vet and are there for you whenever you need them. They will also gladly take back a cat or kitten if it presents a problem of some kind for you or your family and they put it back up for adoption.

I hope keeping animals at college does not become a popular thing.

I hope I haven't offended anyone who has had or does have an animal at college. I'm sure there are many very responsible young adults out there. I just see what happens here at ASU and know that there are probably many more irresponsible young adults and I hate to see animals dumped.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy
Kids in college should be concentrating on school work and having some social fun in their spare time.
I agree dumping animals would be a problem, but in reality, its a problem everywhere. I know when i was in university I spent less time in class than I do at the office now, and went out as many evenings as I do now also - does this mean I am not a good kitty mommy now? I left my cat at home, but my education/university experience would not have been less if I had had my kitty with me - in fact, it would have made the adjustment easier... A pet owner who really cares for their animal certainly has time for school work/social fun and their kitty also...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page