Kitty Dentures? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Kitty Dentures?

(Jim thought up the title for this post )

This evening, we've been worried about Skeeter because he kept sticking his tongue out really far and licking all over his mouth. Then his little paws kept rubbing from his cheeks outward to his mouth, like he was trying to get something out of his mouth...we didn't know what to think and were just about to call the vet when we noticed something laying on the bed. It was a tooth! Now, we know that kittens lose their milk teeth at around 5 months of age (he has about 2 weeks till then), so we are a bit calmer now . We'll keep an eye on him, though. It just seemed like trying to get this baby tooth out was really painfull/irritating for him. Has anyone else experienced this as their kitten was losing his/her teeth? I just want to be sure this is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

I just now looked inside Addison's mouth because of this post and it seems she's already lost a few teeth and I hadn't even noticed. She's 17 weeks old. I didn't realize they came out so early. I can see two of them have almost come in already and the others have little empty spaces.

I haven't noticed her doing anything unusual or doing anything with her mouth to bring attention to this. Hmm...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks for your reply AddFran. I've read that it's rare that you find kitten baby teeth when they fall out as most of the teeth get swallowed. So, don't be surprised that you didn't even know little Addison was teething.

Skeeter's behaviour was just so strange...almost like he was trying to deal with his first hairball and didn't know what to do (my first thought). I hated not knowing what was wrong with him, but we didn't want to call the vet unless we knew it was an emergency.

I guess like any parents, though, we have a little freak-out period (OMG! What's wrong with our baby!?) when we notice out-of-the-norm behaviour AND THEN we start to think logically (okay, what do the books say?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Cat

I was lucky to find quite a few of Cleveland's baby teeth. I am so sad though, I've taped them into his baby book

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Senior Cat

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I kept Dusty's baby teeth too!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page