It's basic hygiene, man! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Do you brush your kitty's chompers?
Yes 9 28.13%
No 23 71.88%
The vet does it 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It's basic hygiene, man!

I was just wondering how many of you brush your cats' teeth. I read all over the place now about how important it is to brush your feline's teeth once a day with their own special little toothbrush and toothpaste. If you do brush, how has it worked out for you and your little one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Funny you should ask...

At the vet's last week, she noticed Callie was developing some gingivitis, so I got the whole schmiel about the importance of a good tooth brushing. Was told to start with the finger, then, maybe some gauze wrapped finger, then the toothbrush.

Here's a newsflash....cats don't like fingers in the mouth!

We're working on it verrrryyyy slowwwwlllyyy, still trying to get cats used to this new concept and keep finger intact.

Mostly though, they just run away when they see the gauze.

Suggestions?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

HA! Poor Callie having to go through such trauma! Hopefully, others will have some advice for us. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Yeah, I brush my cats teeth and they really seem to enjoy it I put some (just a little bit) salt in the water and then I brush. I think they like the taste of the water However I don't brush their teeth often. Not regulary, only when I see that they are becoming a little bit yellowish, which isn't often since the chunks of raw meat and the chicken necks seem to do a good job on the teeth.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 05:00 PM

I brush once or twice a week. The girls don't love it but they are pretty well-behaved anyway. I have a rubber figertip brush and a tiny baby brush made just for kitties. Both work just fine.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayona
I brush once or twice a week. The girls don't love it but they are pretty well-behaved anyway. I have a rubber figertip brush and a tiny baby brush made just for kitties. Both work just fine.
same here!

Bumps however loves getting his teeth brushed and purrs away when i brush his teeth, although he also likes to just sit with my finger in his mouth (I know hes a weird cat)

The only thing was it took me a bit of time to get to know which tooth brush they preferred - bumper will use either brush but prefers the finger ones, magnum & boomer prefer the long baby type brushes and Scully likes the finger one. I also have salmon flavoured toothpaste for them called kittydent.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:26 PM

OK, this REALLY isn't fair

....to all you that posted above about your sweet little kitties and their pearly white teeth....can I borrow them for a minute to teach my cats that good hygene doesn't have to be a freaky thing, and it's not that bad?

Maybe this is payback, when I was a kid I hated brushing my teeth. All I can say is thank God the only children I chose to have came in the feline variety.

katsprat
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Sol
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsprat
OK, this REALLY isn't fair

....to all you that posted above about your sweet little kitties and their pearly white teeth....can I borrow them for a minute to teach my cats that good hygene doesn't have to be a freaky thing, and it's not that bad?

Maybe this is payback, when I was a kid I hated brushing my teeth. All I can say is thank God the only children I chose to have came in the feline variety.

katsprat
Well, it's a long way between Sweden and USA, but sure, come over and borrow one of them
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Cool Cat

Basic Hygeine

Jimmy won't let us brush his *tummy*, let alone his teeth
Although we can brush his head and back now, which we couldn't before, so perhaps there is hope...

seashell
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:45 AM

I brush my cats teeth every day. I've been brushing their teeth for about a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page