Good cattery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good cattery

Im going to visit my parents are xmas, normally my boyfriends mum comes up each day and feeds them, but with now having another 3, who manage to contantly loose thier collars, and smeagle recently having her accident I am unkeen on doing this.
Since pebbles hates the other cats and she would have to be in a pen alone anyway I might leave her at home and put the other 4 in the cattery since his mum will be coming up to feed the rabbits and guinea pigs anyway daily.

What I was wondering is ive never had a cat, and so never been to a cattery and so a few things I want to know
What to look for in a cattery?
Should I go and look around it before hand?
What questions should I ask?
Is thier any papers/lisence's I should ask to see?

Thankyou in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I've always thought catteries were just cat breeders. I've never heard of them as "boarding" but I've also not had to leave my cat before.

Is there a reason you're not looking into using a regular boarding/vet to keep your cats at?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:39 PM

There is an AMAZING place that I will be boarding my cats when we go to England for Christmas this year. It's here in Ontario, and it's SO cool! There are 3 different "suite" types for the cats, of course mine are going in the most expensive one which has a 4 ft window looking out over all the action outside (millions of bird feeders, and the dogs playing in the yard), one whole wall is a fish tank, 5 ft scratching post, 2 levels to sleep on with the top one having a heat vent right over it, and room to play. Plus they get half an hour of play time a day with someone.

This place requires all my cats to have up to date vaccinations (yearly). Here is the link if you want an example as to what you might require at a boarding place. www.hollys-pride.com
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Is there a reason you're not looking into using a regular boarding/vet to keep your cats at?
Vets dont do boarding in the UK....
Um I am looking into a regular boarding place, there are tonns of places here which are boarding kennels, hence the point of my question, what should I look for in a good kennel.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Ahhh... after I posted, I looked at that website and noticed that most places call where they keep cats the cattery. I didn't know this. I just thought that you were taking your cats to a breeder haha... you learn something knew every day!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:33 AM

It depends on where in England you live, but if you're anywhere near Kent, then you should check out sereta cattery. I put Kirby there when we went to Devon for a few days and it is an amazing place. It had pens for smaller animals too (guinea pigs, rabbits etc) and it also had pens for single cats, or up to four cats. They also have very reasonable prices (compared to some places I know) and they do look after your cats very well.

When I was looking at the cattery's, I made sure that the cats in it where happy, that they had experienced on how to look after cats, where clean, made sure the animals got the attention they needed, and made sure my cat couldn't mix with other cats which may have ended in fighting.
If I were you, I'd look for a well known place with alot of experience, and good sized places for your cats to stay. Also make sure that they know about cats, and it would be good if they had a vet around (the place I went to had 2 24 hour vets).
I'd ask what food they would be fed, how much attention they'd give your cat, whether they'd groom them (if needed) and where they would go if it started raining (usually there is a enclosed place for them to sleep).
The cattery I went to asked to see my vaccination papers, but I dont know what other would ask.

I'd book early if I were you because a different cattery we wanted to book Kirby into had been fully booked 4 months in advance!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks guys.

Im in cornwall, redruth to be precise.
I guess I should phone up and ask them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Heres the website if you're interested

http://www.seretacattery.co.uk/sereta/cats.html

I think it's pretty far from you, but if you don't mind travelling it's a good place to go. If you don't want to travel so far, check the yellow pages because they have a good selection of cattery's (in my area at least!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page