My cats are bored.. need some help.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My cats are bored.. need some help..

Ok. i am out of cats toys. well ideas for cat toys. They have mice, balls, the furry stick things, catnip, scratching posts to play on and in, and the laser pointer. They don't seem interested in anything. i need something that they can also play on there own sometimes. Its getting tough when i want to go to sleep and i have the laser pointer hanging over the bed!! Any ideas!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:56 AM

I bought one of those mice thingies that hangs from a string that you hook on top of a door. When it moves it "squeaks" like a mouse. It's provided many hours of fun for my babies.

Must warn you though, the squeaking can keep you up at night.....

katsprat
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Cool Cat

I've been looking around for something Skeeter can play with on his own, too. We make sure we give him AT LEAST two 10-15 mintute play times with us each day (as is recommended for excercise), but on Mondays and Wednesdays, especially, Skeeter is home alone most of the day, so we feel like he needs a toy that can be fun on its own. You know how they have those baby toys where the one little structure has about 10 different gadgets on it. Why don't they make one of those for cats? With fuzzy things here, springy things there...that could be a lot of fun!

Melissaandcats, you said that your cats have some toys like fuzzy mice and the "fuzzy stick thing"...Skeeter also has one of those "cat charmers" with feathers attached to the bottom. But, he wasn't too excited about it to begin with. So, I went to Walmart and bought a bag of like 40 jingle bells, and I've sewn on a bell to his some of the toys that are otherwise a bit boring. Now he loves them. Why don't you give that a try?

I also read that when you do play with interactive toys (you and kitty), you should make the toy behave like kitty's prey ACTUALLY would...hidding in corners, crawling under things, scurrying along the base of a wall, etc., rather than dangling the toy right in the cat's face. We started doing this with Skeeter and he's become a lot more active practicing hunting and pouncing skills. It gets to be quite fun running around the house playing "catch the mouse" with our little guy. We ordered him this "excercise mouse" from Petsmart or Petco...its just a stick that has a plastic string and a furry mouse attached to the end. The fur on the mouse feels like rabbit fur or something, so it's very real-looking. It was only $7 and that's become Skeeter's favorite "prey."

So, perhaps if your cats feel a little more challenged, they'll get more active. Good luck to you and your little ones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 PM

I've heard Da Bird is awesome. I'm getting it shipped to me because of all the great reviews on this site. Send me a PM if you want a site that ships free for first time customers. It's $5.95. Also I've heard Cat Dancer is great as well.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Cool Cat

Definitely DaBird, it's fantastic. Get extra feather attachments too, because after a while as they become 'eaten', the flight looses it's appeal.

Also, try this ball in teh ring, all cats love that. My marsh loves feathers, especially peacock.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:31 PM

RC Car

I don't know about alone time but I got a small RC car to play with Shadow. It only holds a three minute charge and takes about the same to recharge but he loves chasing after it and catching it when I maneuver it behind furniture and around corners.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Cool Cat

Cat Dancer is good. Justin LOOOVES it and Stormy likes it. Best of all, it's only around $3, so even if they don't like it, you're not out much money.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

i think im going to tryone of everything! thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Cat Addict

Da Bird is "da best"!! There is a specific technique to use for maximum enjoyment:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I just got Da Bird for Scully. It is the most entertaining cat toy ever!! This is a pretty indifferent cat, but she was leaping straight up into the air. Hilarious! I definately recomment it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page