I think I have a wild cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

I think I have a wild cat?

Hi!

Does anyone have any information about wild cats and their suitability to being house cats? Any behavioral characteristics or special needs?

Here is the story. We adopted two kittens at the pound that were litter mates and thus brothers. Calvin turned out looking like a cow (white with black spots) and the other cat, Hobbes, has a tabby color but with an almost leopard pattern.

Both cats get spurts of energy however Hobbes gets possessed at certain times of the day (and night unfortunately) and runs around the apartment using a very loud and very low growl that could almost be construed as a bark. He can growl just as loud as I can yell (quite the pair of lungs). I never thought anything of his behavior until the vet made a comment about his coat and a friend who has had cats for years made a comment about Hobbes possibly having some wild cat in him after watching his behavior. I think she said ocelynx or something...?

If anyone has any information or could offer insights it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:26 PM

Posting a photo of him would of course be benificial but. I couldn't really say yes or no. Specially with out knowing his heritage.
There are many domestic cats which some people call "wild cats" by mistake, often Bengals come to mind.
Some of the coat patters we have in our cats today are a result of similar types out in the wild.
Many a cat are capable of the behavior you have discribed below, including some of my own!

Were you thinking of a Ocicat?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

That is what she said...ocicat! Yeah I dont have a digital camera...let me see what I can come up with.[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 03:45 PM

An Ocicat is a domestic breed, georgous as they are.

Here is a little reading about them for you. See if this sounds like your guy or not!

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ocicat.html
http://www.abcs.com/catoninetail/ona/
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~oksaga/
http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/ocicat-faq.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Cool Cat

I'm sorry I can't help you with Hobbes' behaviour, but I did want to say what a beautiful kitty he must be if he is, indeed, and Ocicat. I'd never hear of this breed before. Thanks to Angelzoo's links, I got to see some photos of what your little one must look like! So handsome! Good luck with figuring out his habits.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

thats him...an ocicat

Thanks for your help! That is definately him. He has the spots and identical markings.

I was always wondering why he took to hanging on doorknobs but from what I read they are an intelligent breed that can be trained and learn to perform a variety of simple tasks.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page