Hmmm rescue decision - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Hmmm rescue decision

Right guys I need some help here. Friend's adopted stray cat is definately not pregnant but we're still going to get a kitty
Here's the dilemma. I know I could go for a rescue kitty (little scared I might get knocked by cause I live in an apartment). I would love to rescue a kitty or I could go down the same line as i did to get Cleveland, happened to see an advert in a paper. As far as I'm aware our rescue criteria is quite strict because people were taking cats for dog baiting (sp) but I worry the people who are advertising in papers tend to be folk who have adopted a pregnant stray. Who's to say mean people don't go for their kittens. What do I do?? I don't want to encourage back street breeding of an uncaring person making more kittens just for quick cash (not meaning everyone advertising kittens is like that) but on the otherhand I don't want to leave a kitten outwith the protection of a rescue centre in the hands of a dog baiter.

*head spinning*

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I would say don't pay for a kitten out of the paper. I really think you should rescue one, but some might say the kittens people are selling (or even giving away) in the paper may end up in shelters anyway. Either way, its your decision.

As far as rescues being strict, I hope they are! As long as you have a vet to refer that you're a good mommy and YOU know you can care for this cat, I see no reason for them to decline you. Do you have to pay a lot for these rescues? I know my humane society kitty cost me about $60. I think if someone wanted to get a cat to use as bait they certainly wouldn't pay for it! I would think they'd go to the paper looking for free cats and kittens. There are always plenty of ads like that.

Hm... well good luck with whatever you end up doing and let us know about the new one as soon as you get him/her!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I think because the dog thing was making so much much money through illegal gambling they were paying for it. That's why you have to get a home visit and an interview before you can get a rescue kitty. It makes it so much harder to get a cat for a horrible reason, that's why I thought about a paper kitty, saving it from a potential nasty owner. i've reached the stage I've gone over it in my head so many times I'm totally brain tied!

Claire x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Oh oh oh!! You COULD get one from a shelter AND one from the paper!! haha.. not really but it'd be nice.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Now on a waiting list at my local shelter They try to home kittens/young cats in pairs so don't have a wee lonesome inddor cat for me just yet but she thinks she has some coming in. Going by how energetic my Cleveland is, I don't think a senior cat would cope. Can't wait now.

Claire x
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Ooooooh, how exciting!! A new kitty! If you lived in our area, I'd say you could have one of ours , but oh well........ On the other hand, it's just the excuse I need to visit Scotland
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Sounds like a great excuse They had a little boy but unfortunately he was outdoor. A passer by had found him caught by his collar on a fence. They reckon he was about 12 weeks old and totally flea ridden. The rescue lass said she was so glad the owners didn't claim him because they didn't look after him very well. It's so sad, I wish we could adopt them all.

Claire x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page