Low-cost vaccination clinics? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Low-cost vaccination clinics?

I've been arguing with my dad to no avail - both their cats are indoor-outdoor cats and not vaccinated. I've been trying to show my dad how important it is to take them to the vet but he has excuse after excuse - that one of them is 15 and perfectly healthy (well, sorta), that they're smart enough not to go near raccoons (who carry diseases), etc etc. It's so frustrating - he has his mind made up and even though I've WORKED with cats who have FelV and FIV, he still says it won't happen to him.

So now I'm faced with the task of getting them vaccinated and tested myself. I'm a college student, I'm pretty broke. I know certain places have low-cost vaccination clinics... how can I find one near me? Our vet we use for the dog is really good, but also quite expensive, and there's no way I can afford to get the whole route done for two cats that aren't mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
As you know, Natalie, raccoons carry rabies. That would frighten me, if I were your dad. But, since it's up to you to get the vaccines, I would go to Google.com and enter your state and the words "low cost feline care." I'm glad you're being so responsible.

There are also place where you can buy the vaccine by phone or email, if you are not nervous about giving the shots. Breeders often do that. Just make sure you're dealing with a reputable company. You could call their 1-800 number and get some information about this.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've pointed out that to my dad and he replies with, "The cats know better than to go near raccoons." For an intelligent human being he can be incredibly stupid.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 12:50 AM

Look for mobile vaccine clinics in your area. They usually work out of a pet store on the weekends. In my area, there's different ones that visit the local PetFoodExpress, and Pet Club. They'll do testing and vaccines.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 02:04 AM

Check with your local Animal Control. Most shelters have low-cost vaccine programs. That is what we are going to do with our newest addition, Ivan. Believe it or not, our local Animal Control will neuter him, AND give him his Rabies AND his 4 in1 shot.....ALL FOR ONLY $25.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had known about this with my other 2 cats
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Wow, Ianthe, that's a great price!! I'll definitely look around.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Cat Addict

Have these cats *ever* been vaccinated? If so, they are probably fine; their immune systems will provide adequate protection even if it's been several years since they last got their shots.

As a rule, I will not vaccinate a cat over 14 years old; too many risks, for too little benefit.

Low-cost vaccination clinics may or may not be a good deal. An assembly line shoot-em-up without giving the cat an exam to make sure it at least appears healthy enough to be vaccinated is not necessarily a safe choice for the cat.

Of course, an annual vet exam is still needed even if no vaccines are given:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=007

We've been running a series on vaccines and their risks and benefits in our newsletter; http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... terarchive
(if you find any links that don't work please let me know which ones; I am still working on getting this all right!).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Cat Addict

Forgot to mention that the FIV vaccine is not recommended by any of the feline experts for many reasons.

FeLV is *mostly* a disease of younger cats; and a healthy immune system is the best protection. The vaccine is not as effective as others; it protects maybe 70-80% of cats. Unfortunately it gives people a false sense of security. Current recommendation from Colorado State vet school is to give the leukemia series only to kittens and not to booster adults.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

Boulder, Colorado
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:34 AM

Dr Jean,

What would you reccomend, vaccination-wise, for our new cat Ivan?? We are taking him for shots on Thursday, and to find out if he is fixed or not (I can't tell). He LOOKS like a young cat, but he was outside and I have no way of knowing if he has had any vaccines or not.

Here is his Pic:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

I can't be *positive*, but I do believe both cats were given a full round of vaccinations when they were neutered (both at 6 months of age). I understand about not vaccinating older cats - I would have to agree that it makes sense. Both cats have been extremely healthy all their lives, never had so much as a cold, except for the older one developing some bowel control issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page