URGENT SITUATION ~ Flooded shelter mismanaged in NC - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

URGENT SITUATION ~ Flooded shelter mismanaged in NC

I have permission to cross post this from Greytalk. It is quiet long so I will split it up in 3 postings. Prayers and action with the state need to be taken.
Folks, I just got home from a sight so sickening, I thought I would throw up before I could leave. The no-kill shelter in Hendersonville, NC was flooded during our 'state of emergency floods' caused by the hurricane. Seven dogs and a cat died in their crates before they could be rowed out. The sheriff's department and the NC Dept. of Agriculture used rowboats all day and night to move all the animals. Public pleas for crates and pickup trucks were made on the radio. It took an army of people, most of whom are gone home now. The shelter was given access to an abandoned prison for 3 days. Can you believe it? They have nowhere to go and are given 3 days to move all those animals again!

They are desperate for bowls, towels, crates, etc. Purina is sending a tractor trailer load of food but they need specialty cat foods, ie: kidney diet, etc. There are a handful of people there trying to coordinate everything and other rescue organizations trying to absorb as many animals as possible. There are still more than 300 animals that need to be moved. The woman in charge is having a hard time releasing the animals for fear that they may be put down. (Another topic for another forum).

The bottom line is that dogs and cats are stacked in crates like shoeboxes. Some of the crates are too small and the dogs are cramped up. Can you imagine trying to potty walk that many dogs? This is a nightmare.

I do believe in the power of prayer and am asking that everyone who reads this message, pray to the God of your being, whatever you call him/her/it. If nothing else, send positive thoughts to those volunteers in the trenches over there. It is hot, it is smelly, it is exhausting and they don't have the luxury of going home.

You can visit www.a-cnet.org to learn how to make donations or volunteer to foster. Please do whatever your heart leads you to do. But for grace, it could be us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

PART II

]I just went back over to the makeshift shelter at the prison and took my 700 Vari Kennel crates. Some of my volunteers are taking theirs tomorrow. They have dogs tied outside on 6' leads because there aren't enough large crates for them all.

While I was there, I learned that there are still 150 dogs at the old location! With the other hurricane coming in, there is the possibility of the only bridge leading to the old location being completely washed out! I understand that it is precarious now because of the flood waters that are just now receding! If that happens, there will be no way to get back to the dogs that are there. Pray as hard as you can that enough people show up to help get them moved and that there is a place to move them to! The prison officials have been asked to allow the animals to stay for 2 weeks while other arrangements are made for another place to take them. It is reportedly questionable as to whether the old location can ever be used again and even if it could, the lease is up October 31 and may not be renewed. This facility has faced many problems in the past 5 years and there is no end in sight to their troubles.

My only thoughts now are for the scared, confused dogs and cats. The cats are all having to be bathed because they were all wet and excrement was floating in the flood waters, etc. Horrifying! My heart breaks for them. I walked through one building of dogs and looked into each crate. They looked so dejected, uncomfortable and scared. They were all eerily quiet, they were so exhausted from the stress. I couldn't help but cry as I blessed each one. My heart and soul felt like they were being ripped out.

This experience, added to the stress of trying to coordinate the trapping of the lost greyhound in Mocksville, NC has just about taken the wind out of my sails. Thank you guys for allowing me to share my thoughts with you; I couldn't hold this all inside. I think I shall take a sleeping pill tonight. Otherwise, sleep will likely never come . . .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

PART III

Unfortunately, this appears to be a collector situation. The directors are refusing to let other groups take animals. They are refusing adopters without the 'perfect' home environments. While I was there, they refused to let some folks adopt a cat because it would live in their barn. I am so fried from the stress of trying to help, only to be turned down repeatedly. I have made trip after trip out there.

I had a group call me and offer to take 10 dogs for their inside kennels and several more for their outside pens with doghouses, and some to be trained for service dog work. They are NOT willing to deal with a collector though and the behavior of these folks is textbook. I am hopeful that they will at least go over there with me and try one time. I am making myself available to go with them.

The dogs are all profoundly depressed. Not a bark can be heard anywhere. Some are sick and/or injured and lots are sitting in their own feces and urine. It is so sickening a sight I can't begin to tell you how horrible the situation is.

There is no coordination for the feeding/watering/potty walking. The volunteers don't know how to coordinate all that and the 'leaders' don't appear to either. There is such denial that it is profound. To these folks, any life is better than no life and these animals are suffering immensely.

One dog was lying in his kennel. A knee high black mix so covered in mange that he was polka dotted all over. He didn't raise his head to look at me as I walked past the cage. When I said to him as I cried, "I'm so sorry this has happened to you", he thumped his tail. It almost did me in.

I think there is little we can do but pray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

PART IV ~ Last post.. thank you for patitently reading

Since this crisis, I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about All Creatures Great and Small.

At this point, what AGCS needs is to be shut down by the NC State Attorney General. There are funds being donated by the thousands but I can't see where it is being spent. I watched a woman write a check for $1000 there yesterday and earmarked it for medical/spay/neuter. The animals need veterinary attention yet no vets have been on site in 2 days. Why? Because the directors fear the animals being taken away for treatment and they can't bear to let them go under any circumstances.

I don't understand why the NC Dept. of Ag isn't shutting them down. The directors are refusing help by other groups. They are refusing to allow adoptions. They are refusing treatment of the animals. This needs to end.

One of the volunteers told me yesterday that they recently had a black lab adopted after she had been there for 3 years. She beamed as she told me how proud they were to have kept her alive for those 3 years so that she could be placed. No matter that she lived in a concentration camp for those 3 years and, as a result of being forced to eliminate in her den (crate), will probably never be able to be housetrained and may be dumped at a shelter as a result.

I passed the crate of a pit bull and it had a sticky note on the front telling the staff to only put 1-2" of litter in his crate. Otherwise, he would kick it out. Litter?!?!?! In a dog's crate?!

I hope that everyone reading this will cross post it widely to every human being you know on the planet. Ask everyone to write or call NC Attorney General Roy Cooper at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/lrframe.htm and demand that something be done to shut this shelter down permanently and that court orders be written preventing the directors from ever starting another animal shelter.

One woman here who is employed at a shelter nearby says that she received death threats when her name was mentioned as having talked about ACHS to a person talking to the media.

I heard today that NC Rep Carolyn Justice is all behind the director to help her locate a new facility. I think someone needs to invite Ms. Justice to go work out there for a day or two and see if she gets a different perspective. Feel free to call her at 919-733-5905 or email her at [email protected] and suggest that she do that before she lends her support to the efforts of these torturers.

The other state Senator who needs to hear from us is Tom Apadocka. Call him at (919) 733-5745 or email him at [email protected].

These folks need to know that many groups and individuals are willing to help but because of the sickness of the folks running the show, innocent animals are suffering needlessly, as help is turned away.

Please join me in starting a national campaign to shine the blazing bright lights of truth on this story. If anyone has any contacts at 60 Minutes, 20/20, 48 Hours, etc. I am sure they could get loads of information from PETA, who recently went undercover in this facility. OR they could just send a reporter themselves. The truth is there for all to see. No one is attempting to hide anything. They are so sick, they don't even see the filthy, disgusting conditions these animals are imprisoned in. Interesting that an abandoned prison is where they are . . .

The locals have been unable to get this shelter shut down for years. Perhaps some national attention can get the job done. As an internet community, we have a VERY loud voice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Interesting...

I found this online as well:

http://www.ncagr.com/paffairs/releas...-01shelter.htm

Quote:
OR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24, 2001

(919) 733-4216 (office)
(919) 218-5421 (cell)

All Creatures Great and Small animal shelter ordered closed

RALEIGH – In response to continued complaints and a failed inspection on Aug. 15, officials with the N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services Veterinary Division today ordered the All Creatures Great and Small animal shelter in Hendersonville to cease operations within the next 30 days.

This order also calls for all animals to be relocated to other approved shelter facilities. Failure to heed the order could result in civil penalties of up to $5,000 per violation in accordance with N.C. General Statute 19A-40. NCDA&CS officials also notified the shelter operators that their application for license renewal has been disapproved.

“We have worked extremely hard with the management at this facility for more than two years to help them meet licensing standards under the Animal Welfare Act,” said Dr. David Marshall, Assistant Commissioner and State Veterinarian. “Apparently they are either unwilling or unable to maintain a healthy environment for the animals in their care.”

State officials have said they will help with relocation of all the animals. The 30-day grace period is being allowed to help find suitable locations to move the animals. The NCDA&CS Veterinary Division staff is sending letters to licensed animal shelter facilities in western North Carolina seeking their assistance in this situation.

“Our goal is to protect these animals,” Dr. Marshall said. “The last thing we want is for these animals to be destroyed.” A state license to operate was originally issued to All Creatures Great and Small on Feb. 6, 2001 after owners of the facility met minimum licensing standards. The shelter failed an inspection on Aug. 15.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Would you mind if I cross posted this back over to GreyTalk? Thanks for posting this SpaceMonkey.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

I think the shelter has at least a dozen websites, they're everywhere! But none of them have photos of the facilities...they do have some photos of the animals on Petfinder, but you can never tell from those shots.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...Shelterid=NC92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page