getting smelly - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

getting smelly

well i came home and when my mom walked down the stairs she complained that the smell of the kitty litter bothered her. i just put in the litter 2 days ago and now i scooped it, but i guess i can still smell it somewhat. before my mother has a cardiac arrest i need to know if there is any way i can get rid of any smell or as much as possible. right now im using the crystal litter. they said it was the best so thats what i bought. so why the heck does it still smell? should i mix it with another kind of litter or switch to something else? im also going to get some air freshners. the last thing i need is my mom thinking the cat is a dirty addition to our house. shes already kind of jealous that he only lets me really touch him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:05 PM

I've recently switched to TidyCat multiple cat litter (I have two cats) and I'm amazed at how clean the air is around the box.....it's a fresh clean smell and it doesn't fade over time.....

katsprat
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Cool Cat

i use FreshMagic www.freshmagic.com, they're crystals and we NEVER have any smell. the crystals absorb urine and dry out #2... there's really never any smell and the clearn-up is a breeze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Cat Addict

I use World's Best, and even with 5 cats it does very well. But the type of litter isn't the main thing, it's how clean *you* keep it. You have to scoop at least daily -- if your mom is prone to coronaries, then twice a day!

There are also some products you can sprinkle into the litter to keep the odor down; you might want to check at Petco or Petsmart for those.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

Jean Hofve, DVM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boulder, Colorado
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:43 PM

What's the world's best?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
What's the world's best?
the litter is called "World's Best"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice. im deffinately going to scoop twice a day from now on. im wondering if mixing litters would be bad? i have tidy cat multiple cat crystals and tidy cat odor control liter. my mother seems to think that mixing it would reduce smell. ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsprat
I've recently switched to TidyCat multiple cat litter (I have two cats) and I'm amazed at how clean the air is around the box.....it's a fresh clean smell and it doesn't fade over time.....

katsprat
I have found the same thing with Tidy Cats. I only have one cat, but i still really like it and so does she. I have never had an odor problem with it and I think it cleans out really nice. I do not use the crystals though, I use the hard clumping litter. There is several diiferent kinds: the odor destroyer, multiple cats, and the one that says somthing about bacteria. i have used all three in the hard cluimping litter and they all work really good for me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 02:31 AM
Cat Addict

I have multiple cats and quite an array of litter boxes and I've found that no matter what you do, there will always be a brief time after kitty makes a deposit that there will be some smell, until the litter has a chance to absorb the odor. As for the lingering odors I just started using the 'gonzo' volcanic rocks and am impressed. Not much else on the market has worked for me.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 PM

Is "Worlds Best" kitty litter ok for kittens 4 and 6 months old ????? I use Feline Pine and it seems to break down very quickly especially from their pee and since Ive changed them over to an all wet diet there's alot of peeing going on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page