Atlanta shelter takes in florida hurricane pets - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Atlanta shelter takes in florida hurricane pets

By MARK NIESSE, Associated Press
September 14, 2004

ATLANTA — Without a home or a family, a Dalmatian named Dozer got aboard a plane to escape Florida's hurricanes and find a new home.

Dozer, an excited and friendly 2-year-old, and 133 other abandoned pets in Florida were flown into Atlanta on Sunday because Florida's animal shelters are overflowing with hundreds of dogs and cats left behind in the wake of Hurricane Frances and Hurricane Charley.

From there, the animals are being housed at the Atlanta Humane Society and the Houston Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for adoption.

"People were turning their animals in, saying, 'We don't know what to do with them,'" said P.J. Smith, spokeswoman for the Atlanta Humane Society. "People were dumping their pets, and they were in tears because these were their babies."

Many people in Florida lost their homes in the hurricanes, and they were forced to get rid of their pets because shelters and hotels wouldn't allow them.

"Most of them lost everything," said Jennifer Rowan, director of volunteers at the Humane Society of Sarasota County, Fla., which was filled with 230 homeless animals after Charley. "We wanted to get our animals out into safety."

That's when the Atlanta and Houston animal shelters stepped forward to take on the pets. Denver also handled a separate shipment.

The problem was finding a way to get the animals from central Florida to Atlanta, 450 miles away.

A Delta Air Lines pilot, Dan Gryder, volunteered to fly the pets out of the disaster area and into safety in his private 1938 DC-3.

"They were desperate for a vehicle large enough to do it in one shot," Gryder said. "The amount of care and effort they place on those animals is just astounding."

Now the animals are getting shots and calming down, Smith said. Most of them will be available for adoption Tuesday, and dozens of people have called about them. Seventeen pets stayed in Atlanta, and the others were driven from the airport here to Houston.

The Sarasota shelter needed to empty itself so it can take in more animals when Hurricane Ivan strikes, Rowan said.

"We wanted to relieve the strain on the shelters so they can be prepared for the next wave," said Martha Armstrong, senior vice president for domestic animal programs for the U.S. Humane Society. "At times like this we have to pull together."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 05:19 PM

How sad

I hadn't read this article, but while looking at pictures from the hurricanes I came across a picture of a cat in a shelter and it had a little description with it. I feel so sad for the animals. I feel bad for everyone and everything...even the little birdies that live in the wild that were soaking wet (more pictures).

Can you imagine what they must be going through? For us adults we may not fully understand what to do or where to turn in a crisis such as a hurricane, but we can at least stay with a family member or friend (hopefully). These animals have noone to turn to. They don't understand why they're being left at these shelters or why there's so much water, etc. They're helpless. And to think that most of these animals in Florida, Louisana, etc had loving homes. It's that many 1000's more 'strays' we have in our shelters again.

It just breaks my heart to think about the animals.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:16 PM

Oh, how sad. I feel sad for the people of Florida, but even worse for the poor pet animals that don't understand. I can tell you that I'd ship my animals to a relative out of state or a boarding Kennel before I gave them away. Come on, there are better alternatives then "giving them up".
I bet they kept their kids........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:27 PM

LOL!

LOL! Kana, I bet they did keep their kids. Our animals are just us much our kids. I couldn't imagine giving them up either. I'd be so lost and empty without my puddy cats. I'd probably ship my animals to a relative or friend's before I'd give them up, too.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Geeze now it is hurricane number four .. I wouldnt evacuate without my pets. Im heart broken at what the rescue people are having to deal with and the poor animals. I know alot of groups from other areas of the country are sending donations to help out. Im watching the progress of hurricane Jeanne right now. Thinking of even the poor wild animals enduring all this let alone our domestic shelter pets & abandoned pets!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 03:41 PM

I know - I could not leave my babies behind for anything in the world. I wish hotels would be more understanding in situations like these - or the shelters have facilities for pets as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 05:01 PM

Hotels

There have been a couple hotels that have toned down on their restrictions a bit so people can bring their pets with them. I saw a pic of a guy walking his dog in the hotel.

The only problem with that is, what about those that have allergies to animals staying in the same hotel?

After they're ready to clean up from the hurricanes and everyone's eventually gone home, those hotels will probably have to replace all carpeting and maybe even repaint. Not only do they need to do that for the sake of allergic customers in the future, but also not everyone is responsible enough to clean up after their pets. We all know people who's dog or cat pees on the floor or poops and it doesn't get cleaned up. Or who's cats may have clawed the carpeting.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ive heard from friends in Florida. The shelters wont accept you bringing your pets. The hotels are relaxing the no pet issue and are letting you bring your pets since this is an emergency situation. God Bless Them for doing that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page