Cats in shelters - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Cats in shelters

Maybe this data is someplace but I wondered what's the percentage or amount_ of regular, declawed, special needs (temperament/abused/FIV) cats and kittens in shelters? I suppose it also varies always. My closest shelter only has 'normal' and 2 abused cats now while last year had several declawed cats..and we know that kittens are adopted out faster than older cats but how popular are declawed cats in shelters? Just wondered..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I don't know that there is an exact estimate of just cats going into shelters, as they are often lumped in with the dogs to make the 8-10 million a year.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't have that number for you, but this link says that 70% of cats turned in to shelters for behavior problems are declawed.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/declaw.html

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank-you spacemonkey and Jeannie..I wasn't thinking of an exact number, too difficult. Seventy% that's is awfully high, didn't realize it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

That's so sad. Poor babies
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes, and to think that we are responsible for them..what does it say of humankind but better don't rant, can't help any that way.
Another 'reason' I 've seen for cats in shelters is the cat is old so since they have others the owners give away the eldest ..how/why did they get others cats in the 1st place..so cruel. Do you see much of that? I don't work in a shelter, just visiting and hearsay
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

Oh yes, there are hardly ever any "good" reasons for a pet to be in a shelter; one we see a lot, and it's usually with small animals, but also with cats: Kids lost interest.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
To prevent a misunderstanding, that does not mean 70% of the total of cats taken to shelters, but 70% of those dropped off for behavior problems.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Cool Cat

Right now, my local shelter only has one declaw (another came in with her but has since been adopted, both were older kitties)...but because they were just tossed into the dog kennels after-hours, we have no idea why they might have been surrendered. Neither showed any behavioral problems, but the one who is left is my poor, sweet, sick senior lady that nobody wants, and she is having a very hard time of it.

Because we're contracted to many towns to take strays, there are a lot of times that we have to turn away owner surrenders (we have been full for quite a while). Most of our kitties are strays, or kittens who came in with their stray mothers and are growing up in the shelter...so most of them have no known history.

As far as special-needs kitties, we have had a few one-eyed cats, there are a few who have chronic UTI's, and one or two with suspected food allergies (which is really hard to deal with when you're relying on donated foods). And, my big, aggressive favorite Mr. Bojangles is being vetted this week because he's started showing some possible early signs of diabetes, and this just as we're getting him to the point where he'll tolerate being handled without biting. We have no FIV or FeLV cats, because we just don't have the space to segregate them from the general population. I would think that many kill shelters euthanize "problem" and special-needs cats quickly, so that you might not see as many of them on the adoption floor as you'd expect, but I'm just guessing.

Currently, we're lucky to not have any big abuse cases, but there are other shelters further north (especially in more economically depressed areas) who are dealing with multiple puppy-mill and animal hoarding/neglect cases...we just don't happen to have any at this time. <knocking wood>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page