Proud new father of two kittens.... now what? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Proud new father of two kittens.... now what?

Hello one and all. I am new here and have come to y'all for some tips. I have always been a dog person, however my wife has opted to get a couple of kittens and I agreed bacause we just moved into a new (old) house in the "country" that probobly has mice/rats.

She is picking the kitty's up this weekend, one is a little lazy but the other is frisky and I hope will make a good mouser!

So, since I don't know the first thing about raising cats... I am here.

They are about 2 mo. old, just starting to eat, and utilizing the litter box effectively.

What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Here's a link that should be helpful:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... wners.html

A good way to chase mice out of the house is a gadget called Riddex. I hope the kittens will be wonderful pets. Be a bit patient; they're very young to have been re-homed.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm not sure what you're asking. What do you do? You love them to pieces!!

I know all about being new to cats, and this is a wonderful place to come. I've learned so much in the past few months that I've even amazed myself You'll catch on quickly.

My only thought so far is the issue of using them to keep down the mice. I don't really have a problem with that, but I'm assuming this means they'll be indoor and outdoor cats? If you live in the "country" and don't have much around, I'm sure they will be very happy. Make sure they have all their vaccines and definately a rabies shot. You never know what they'll get into. I'd be afraid that a bigger animal may get them, but hopefully that won't happen.

The mice themselves can be a problem. I'd suggest keeping up with some sort of deworming pill every so often. I know a lot of cats can get all sorts of icky things from mice. Also, being outdoors a lot, fleas may be an issue. You may want to get some sort of topical flea medication. Advantage and Frontline are good for fleas, but Revolution protects against all sorts of things. Fleas, ticks, worms, even heartworm (which my cat has recently been diagnosed with).

I hope that as soon as you bring your new babies home, you'll be taking them to the vet for an all around check up and their shots. Ask anything you can think of!

Good luck with the kitties and keep us updated! (we LOVE pictures by the way)

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

They makes me think of a question I hadn't thought of yet. When can they first be let outside alone? I am sure the wife will bring them out to play some under her supervision, but how do I know they are ready for their first solo?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Cool Cat

Kittens should not be left outside on their own until they are at least 6-9 months old, have been fixed, and have all of the recommended shots. I bet they are going to LOVE roaming around the "country," as you say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page