Best type of scratching post? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Best type of scratching post?

any recommendations on a particular type/material? these things are might pricey (~$40 at petco )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 AM
Cat Addict

Cats love sisal rope. You can make one yourself for a few bucks if you are inclined that way.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Cool Cat

This one cost me maybe $15 in materials to make, but took a long time wrapping and glueing the rope to the post. I could have used thicker rope which would have involved less wrapping but I bought 1/4" sisal rope. If I ever need to make another I will go with a thicker rope.

When you take the time to make it yourself you know it is better made than the store bought posts, and taller. Many of them are made of hollow cardboard tubes. This one is 30 inches tall which allows for more of a stretch while scratching. I also used a cedar 4 X 4 for the post. Standard lumber is less expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Cat Addict

Richo, that is SWEET!!

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 02:16 AM

Wow, in addition to be being cheaper, it is much better looking. That's a nice piece of furniture!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 03:28 AM
Cat Addict

Yeah, Richo, that does look nice. Ever think of seeing if you can make a few extra bucks on eBay?

Not all cats like to scratch the same types of things. My cats are just not very interested in the sisal posts. What works best for me are the corrugated cardboard scratchers. They run about 7 bucks a piece and need to be replaced once every couple of months. I have two strategically positioned around the house.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Cool Cat

Most people go on eBay to find inexpensive items so I don't think many people would pay what I would charge for something like that. Plus, I can't say that I'd be interested in building another one. Like I said, wrapping the rope around the post was a pain (squirt the hot glue, apply the rope, hold it for 15 seconds while the glue sets, turn the post 90 degrees, repeat procedure 100 more times...).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I'm glad someone brought it up, because I'm thinking Scully would like one. We got her a Jute rug that we were planning on mounting on the wall, but she liked laying on it, and scratching it, so much while it was on the floor that we just left it there. She'll still scratch it, but she tried to scratch other things to, like the kitchen stools. I don't want to take her rug away, so I'm thinking a post or something might be nice. But they are so expensive, and not pretty. Richo, that is one nice post! Maybe I can get my dad...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

anyone think this is a decent deal for a scratching post?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 6518400695

$30 free shipping...

if someone could refer me to a particular model/brand/link that would be nice... $30 is my range...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 01:57 AM

That's pretty reasonable for one with sisal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page